Top end oiler

Basically there are two cases when a top end oiler is needed:

• You have HD head studs that restrict the oil channels to the head or the oil ways are completely blocked due to big block installation or something similar ("dry blocking").
  • You have high lift cams with heavier valve springs. In this case increased oil flow can help to keep the rockers alive and cool the valve springs.

Otherwise there shouldn't be much need for a top end oiler. Also it's good to keep in mind that altering the oil circulation on these air cooled engines can lead to all kind surprises if you don't really know what you are doing. Some top end oiler kits on the market aren't that well thought out in this sense so  just bolting-on something can make more harm than good. If you just want to improve lubrication overall then high volume pump gears are better and safer option IMO.

• Like 4

Yes as Arttu says be careful when getting one, one I had from a reputable company knackered my head, turned out the lines flowed less oil than the original oil ways up the studs. Mine was dry blocked, oilways blocked off at the bottom of the studs.so just make sure the lines are big enough, someone on here should be able to tell you the right size lines, simple calculation I expect.

Cheers SRR

• Like 1