Earl’s thermostat : usefull or not?

Kurf

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/31/2019 at 6:31 PM, Blubber said:

@arnout  has tested one on his gsx ...think it was a different brand...maybe even a one of a kind .

Pretty sure he will complement or correct me.

Ah.. Missed this one.. Usually I'm strickly "aircooled" anyway though..

But anyway.. Yes, very useful. On aircooled GSXs fitted with a large oil cooler that is. (Do a search for my rants). I have no grasp of oilboilers though (don't these have an internal oilstat?)

No experience with the very nice looking Earls one though. Seems very expensive..! I've been using the cheap Mocal oilstats (OT/1) for many years myself, but only once had the oilstat stuck in bypass-mode.

For my Kat I built an oilstat into de filter cover plate to be able to do away extra hoses and avoid the tight bends in them to fit the Mocal oilstat.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, arnout said:

Ah.. Missed this one.. Usually I'm strickly "aircooled" anyway though..

But anyway.. Yes, very useful. On aircooled GSXs fitted with a large oil cooler that is. (Do a search for my rants). I have no grasp of oilboilers though (don't these have an internal oilstat?)

No experience with the very nice looking Earls one though. Seems very expensive..! I've been using the cheap Mocal oilstats (OT/1) for many years myself, but only once had the oilstat stuck in bypass-mode.

For my Kat I built an oilstat into de filter cover plate to be able to do away extra hoses and avoid the tight bends in them to fit the Mocal oilstat.

Thanks Arnout!

If you want to get excited about the idea, have a look at SkiDoo/Snow Mobile worlds.

They have a big aftermarket/modifying scene that us bikers do not look at.  Performance engine warm up and cooling of high performance engines means that they like oil thermostats.

You may find something useful and a lot cheaper.

FYI, last time that I needed a head cooler system that needed a thermostat was 30 years ago and for some British piece of Shite, plan then was to make it survive in hot countries, but I have been looking at systems ever since.

Hope his help. (y)

• Like 1