1990 GS500e Custom Exhaust

Hello Guys. I'm back with some more questions about my GS. So I currently want to make a custom exhaust from stainless steel myself.. obviously a pipe that's already ready to be cut sort of thing. Yes, I understand that basically straight piping the bike is bad and will create a vaccum to suck cold air in, yes I know. I understand all of the risks. What I do not understand is what to use and where to even start? It's a 1990 GS500E. I want to cut down past the can about maybe 6-8 inches and create an outer facing hole so instead of the exhaust end-hole facing behind me, it faces directly to my left or at an angle towards the back. Someone please fill me in on how and what I can do to get this started.

IMG_0028.JPG

So,do you want to bin the end can/silencer??...if so can you not simply extend the pipe from where you cut it off?...or are you thinking of replacing more than just the silencer itself?...If you are planning more than just a simple cut and shut then you will be looking at purchasing bends/elbows and getting them welded to suit and then you will have a custom exhaust...

However,would you want it that loud?..you could perhaps buy an aftermarket silencer and still retain some form of exhaust 'note'....I had one of these bikes some years ago for a commuter and I swapped out the silencer for a universal alloy one and it sounded pretty fruity yet still kept the mot man happy...

Either way you will need to do some form of fabricating I guess as off the shelf exhausts for these are not that plentiful...

Hello 

I honestly just planned on binning the can and silencer, but I wanted something to look somewhat or exactly like the picture below. (Keep in mind, I pulled these pictures from screenshots of youtube)

I just should probably cut down near a foot from the stock can and then add that stainless steel end-piece. I just don't know how or what to even use. Obviously fabrication is gonna need be done, which is easy for me. But what materials or does anyone have any ideas on where to get something like this or the piece of stainless steel itself orrr? 

Not much care for how loud or how quiet. Obviously the more aggressive sound and tone is needed/wanted. Just want to know if anyone has any ideas maybe that are easy or DIY or kits in mind? 

27A3E163-F36C-4DB2-84A2-BBB6273DF13E.png

805F7E9B-1454-4E1A-9C5D-1583752591EB.png

remember though that an unrestricted straight through pipe might sound awesome, but it will completely bollox your carburation, so it will most likely be slower and make leess power. it will also be the aural equivalent of wearing an 'all coppers are bastards' tee shirt whenever you are out and about on it. and finally, you will be unlikely to get it through an mot. other than that, go ahead. you can buy turnouts with removable baffles in em, theyre plenty loud and the baffle takes the edge off the noise. that way you can pop the baffle in to take it for an mot and then put it on the shelf in the shed for the other 364 days of the year!

Edited by johnr
17 hours ago, johnr said:

remember though that an unrestricted straight through pipe might sound awesome, but it will completely bollox your carburation, so it will most likely be slower and make leess power. it will also be the aural equivalent of wearing an 'all coppers are bastards' tee shirt whenever you are out and about on it. and finally, you will be unlikely to get it through an mot. other than that, go ahead. you can buy turnouts with removable baffles in em, theyre plenty loud and the baffle takes the edge off the noise. that way you can pop the baffle in to take it for an mot and then put it on the shelf in the shed for the other 364 days of the year!

Youngkidoldbike's profile shows he's in Nevada, US.  We don't have a national "mot" like the UK.  Each state sets its own requirements.  Some states are strict, some states have no inspection at all, and others are somewhere in between.  Even if a state doesn't have an inspection requirement, open exhaust may still be illegal and the police can issue a citation for it.  Nevada has a lot of desolate areas; you could ride all through the desert and mountains and no one will care, even if illegal.  Regardless of state or local laws, hitting the throttle hard with open exhaust while in town is the "cops are bastards" shirt, drawing unwanted attention.