Gaskets needed for 750 slab exhaust headers?

Harry66

hi,

Got a bit stuck fitting aftermarket pipes.  I have a Laser end can and front end I think Abbas or something like that?   When I use the single gasket with the collars from the std exhaust it does not tighten up properly.  Seems to need thicker gasket.  I used 2 gaskets but that means they barely locate in the ports.   Any experience of alternative thickness gaskets?  thanks!

With my aftermarket system I had a similar problem so had to junk the std collars in order to allow the down pipes to pull into the head correctly then I just fitted new genuine standard gaskets,this fixed my problem but I suppose this may differ from system to system.

This was with an SpeedPro Eagle Mach 7 system. 

Have you checked that the downpipes aren't hitting the cross brace of the frame cradle?  As you are unsure of the make it is possible it's a slingshot set of downpipes. I've tried putting a (Akrapovic) slingy system on a mates slabby 750 last year and the downpipes wouldn't sit in the ports properly because of this.

2 hours ago, Harry66 said:

the std exhaust it does not tighten up properly

Did you try using shorter bolts or try shimming up the bolts with washers to see if it takes up the slack? Just throwing ideas out there. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Gents.   The pipes look fine on the routing.   I think I will put the original pipe back on first.  Get the MOT, then try again.

Another question.... the oil sump plug had been crossed by last owner.  I have a new sump and gasket.  Should I fit gasket sealant, like the blue hylomar, or just on clean??

• 1 month later...