starter motor

kitkatman

The EFE starter has a different no. of teeth, but you can fit it on earlier 1100's  if you swap the idle gear a well.

The benefit of this swap (motor + idle gear) is the different ratio that will make it easier for the starter to turn the crank over. (So the crank will spin slower and/or the starter wil spin faster, but has more power -a bigger lever- to do so).

EX/ET idle gear NT:55/18 (= 3.06:1) part.no.12611-49201

EFE idle gear NT: 70/17 (= 4.12:1)  part.no.12611-00A01

10 hours ago, Pedda said:

Yeah, what you call idle gear comes up as starter gear on some of the alphasport sketches. Think we mean the same thing.

"Starter idle gear".. Right.. I thought you were referring to the large starter clutch gear.. o.O

It's this thing (EX/ET verson):

s-l300.jpg

6 hours ago, kitkatman said:

There are one tooth difference on the smaller gear between EFE and ET. Does it still work ,or do I have some thing odd. ???

Yes, odd but true.. The NT (73) on the starter clutch gear of EFE's and earlier is the same.. These gears differ only in ID because of the larger taper on EFE cranks..

Tried to dig up some parts to demonstrate this story, but don't have a spare EFE starter clutch gear lying around.. So just some pics of both idle gear versions..

idle_gears_1100-1150_2.jpgidle_gears_1100-1150_3.jpg

Btw, I found the EFE gear is about 1.7mm wider than the ET/EX one, so keep this in mind when swapping gears.. (probably leaving one washer/spacer out will do the trick, but do measure before putting the cover back in place..)