GSX600F/GSXR Hybrid - Ramair Filter settings?

Motovalet

I'm part way through my GSXR750 Engined GSX600F "Teapot" Cafe Racer project and need some advice on carb set up to run Ramair sock type foam filters. The motor is a 749cc long stroke Slingshot  motor with BST34mm carbs lifted from a GSX750F, they have stock jets, needles etc. As it sits at the moment I have a Nikko Strada 4 into 2 into 1 headers and collector but no link pipe or end can as I need to find a suitable link pipe to fit over the 53mm collector pipe (they all seem to be either 48 or 51mm) but that's another question. So, bearing in mind the exhaust is less an end can at the moment, what are the base settings on these carbs to run the Ramair filters? I've chosen these over K&N's as researched  knowledge has lead  me to the conclusion that I'll never get CV carbs to work with K&N type pod filters as the air flow lifts the slides too early or something?? Before I'm flamed and told to stick the air box back on, I'll hold my hands up and say I'm doing this purely for appearance and aesthetics :-) Am I right in thinking the foam sock type filters will "mimic" the original air box  and not increase the air flow as much??

• 4 weeks later...

for my 750L Im working on the assumption that an oiled kandn type filter would give more reistance to air flow than a foamy ramair, and therefor have characteristics marginall more favourable to an engine designed with an airbox.

Im trying this wih bst38s that it has started and run with ramairs, on a 4-2-2 exhaust, standard pilots and 135 mains.  It was a bitch tho.  Im trying at the moment with a 4-1, kandn dual pods and some other stuff for better compression and spark. 

i had bst34s on a b6 running on the same 4-1 exhaust with 4 pods reliably.  Its interesting what you say about the slides lifting too early and people taping filters.

How is it goin wiv the starting and running ?

Well, as it stands right now, I have a stock  long stroke 749cc GSXR Slingshot motor in my 600F teapot with GSX750F 36mm carbs (bst36s stock GSX750F settings) and a four into two into one Nikkon Strada pipe less link pipe and end can. The carbs have just the old air box inlet rubbers fitted and the bike starts and ticks over ok but until I get the end can and the filters sorted I'll not know how far off the fueling is? I was optimistically clinging to the hope that Ramair sock type filters over the air box rubbers might replicate the air box and be more restrictive ie breathe less than say pod filters and therefore see if I could get away by just maybe altering the needle height? There are plenty of videos on YouTube whereby folk have either taped over pod filters or inserted washers etc. to restrict air flow and gotten them to run well without messing with jets. Obviously doing this is not the way forward if you're after more performance. In my case I want the filters for aesthetic reasons and not out and out performance, I'll be getting that anyway by swapping out the 600 motor for the 750 one!