relay problem gsx1100f

My old faithful GSX1100F has been unearthed from the winter hybernation and started ok with a bit of charge in the battery and some fuel squirted down the inlet side of the airbox. ...ran sweet for 15 minutes but as soon as I tried to turn the lights / indicators / horn screen / on it went off and now it dead as a Dodo apart from ignition light. If I short the solenoid it turn over but there's nothing else happening and a whole lot of clicking coming from the 4 pin relay under the seat. The battery is up and the earth is good....is it the relay poss ?

Edited by Nick_C_Hotrods
spelling

If you haven't got a meter how do you know the battery is good? It could have started with a boost but a wankered battery won't take a charge and eventually the electrics will die. A couple of volts is enough to click a relay but 8 or 9v ain't gonna crank over. Invest a £10 and get a meter then you'll know.

• Like 1

Sounds very much like a bad connection somewhere, either feed or earth, If it spins over well when you short the starter solenoid then the battery is probably ok. My bet would be a dirty fuse connection. Go through the fuse box and pull them out one by one and clean them all up with some emery cloth. If not then I would next check the block connectors to the ignition switch, if it's running then dies when you put on the lights etc. then a bad connection somewhere is taking the power from the ignition to force it's way through the dodgy load. Pull all connections and clean them up with some WD40 (proper switch cleaner is better but WD40 is easier to get hold of).

p.s. you can buy a multi-meter for less than a tenner from any car spares shop, good investment. Buy one with some instructions and learn how to use it, this will make your life much easier :-)