1989 gsxr750 wheel conversion

just logged on here probably after 6 years and...what the hell is my name lol.

anyways, just wondering if gsxr1100w wheels will be a straight fit to an 89 gsxr750 swingarm and a 91 gsxr750 front end without tweaking things around a good bit.

also i guess i gotta ask this aswell, will a gsxr750w swingarm be a straight swap on a 89 gsxr750 frame AND if it is and i do that will the gsxr1100w rear wheel be a straight swap?

id like to know how well the chain aligns to the wheel and also the brake caliper to the disc

if this is not the way to go as far as putting a wider rear wheel on then how do people generally do the conversion?

is there any front wheel swaps for the 91 gsxr750 front end that make the bike a better ride?

if theres a thread that lists all the possible swaps and conversion for these bikes please link it to me, thankyou

Edited by v-twinwalker

I just double checked 750W wheels in my 91 750 a while back because I couldn't remember. The 1100w rear wheel is not a straight swap into an oil cooled swing arm, but a 90/91 rear wheel is if you just want a 5.5" wheel. The front end is a straight swap, don't even think you need to change bearings for that, and the W wheels fit the slingshot forks if you happen to have the set.

The 750W swing arm is pretty easy to swap over, even better if it's the braced model. Gotta double up the sleeves as the W has a larger pivot shaft, and need a spacer in the middle to keep everything in place. The 1100W wheel should then fit in the 750W swing arm, but you'll need the matching sprocket carrier, spacers and caliper hanger. I've only done it with a 750W wheel, but I'm pretty sure the 1100W stuff is the same. Chain alignment should be similar to stock, and you're keeping the same rear caliper hanger and rotor combo so they don't change.

W wheel in 91 750 forks is the easiest upgrade, as it's a lighter wheel. Otherwise W front ends swap over and you get to keep your mechanical speedo. Anything newer than that and you'll lose the speedo drive. Also all the early USD forks are heavy.

Check out the archives on the main page for the site, as well as build threads and just browsing through all the stuff in the oil cooled section. The slingshots and Ws were pretty similar and not that hard to swap parts between. The SRADs are more similar to the K bikes in how their rear suspension bolts up, and harder to fit without some customization.

13 minutes ago, Upshotknothole said:

W wheel in 91 750 forks is the easiest upgrade, as it's a lighter wheel. Otherwise W front ends swap over and you get to keep your mechanical speedo. Anything newer than that and you'll lose the speedo drive. Also all the early USD forks are heavy.

Would the rear wheel from a watercooled gsxr also be lighter? 

I have the banana style swingarm if that's the braced one, sorry don't know much in the realm of modifying bikes.

I know the watercooled are straight spoke vs the slingshot being curved but if the watercooled are no doubt the lighter set then I will go for them.

Yeah, the straight spoke W wheels are lighter than the curved oil cooled wheels.

Like you said, you have the banana style. The braced had a large brace welded to the top of a more conventional looking swing arm. They're both the same dimensions and mounting though. Pretty sure you use the knuckle and dog bones for the W swing arm and the shock too if you have it.

Check the build threads, or start a build thread for your bike, and post some photos of your bike, we like photos of bikes here.

Here's a 91 1100 with a 750W swing arm, as well as a braced and banana 1100W swing arms.

IMG_3473.jpeg