GS1000S cam chain tensioner

Good afternoon all.

It's been a while (years)since I last posted but I'm hoping for some advice regarding the cam chain tensioner on my GS1000S.

I have an occasional rattle from the cam chain, initially when cold but sometimes once warm.

I have picked up a manual tensioner for the bike but having read the odd thread on here that I can find the advice seems to be to retain the original tensioner. I have a replacement spring for the original but I'm not certain if just replacing that will be sufficient.

Is there a way of checking that the original maintains tension or should I fit the manual one and be done with it?

BTW I do also intend to replace the cam chain while I'm at it. 

Thank you in advance for any help or advice.

Keep the OEM one, they're fine. 

Strip it down, replace the spring as you have one. Make sure the plunger moves freely. You can get replacement seals from Simply Bearings or similar.

If you have a worn cam chain or grooved tensioner blades, that could also be the problem. The tensioner may struggle at the extreme of it's travel.

Edited by gs7_11

Thank you gents for your response. 

Definitely food for thought. I admit I do like to keep things original and as I have the spring I'll strip the original down and check it out.

A quick check earlier showed that Suzuki Performance do a replacement tensioner blade (at £99) if that requires replacing.

Checking out and replacing the cam chain isn't a problem having replaced one in my other bike (not a Suzuki but the principle is the same).

Any body else please feel free to pass on their thoughts.

There's also a guide blade in the front

You might be having cam end float instead of cam chain noise

My tensioner is going on 88,000 miles without an issue

Edited by BigT