1100 slabside engine replacement

I know this kind of thing has been brought up before. But for the life of me I can only find interchangeable parts and not what I'm after.

I will keep it blunt. Ive got a gsxr1100 slabside in a custom frame. I need to pull the engine out for a bit of work. 

Could I drop a gsx1100f engine in it's place or is there a better swap. I'm not fussed about performance. Just need to keep the bike on the road. 

Cheers all

An 1100 f makes more power that a stock 1100 slabby. The engine will go in but the bottom back mount is slightly larger so a sleeve is needed in the case or the frame mount can be drillled out. The 1100 f cam cover is different and depending on space may cause clearance problems. Cam covers are not interchangable. Depending on the exhaust design, this may present problems as the sumps differ. Sumps are interchangeable so you may have to use the slabby item. this will also enable you to retain your existing oil cooler, because the oil cooler take offs differ between the two sump types. The 1100 f takes the same carbs as an 1100 slabby, so no problems there. The ignitions are different. Easiest here is to use the pick-ups and cdi from the slabby, which may liven the engine up a little low down as the advance retard profiles are different. You can't mix and match 1127 and 1052 cdis and pick-ups. Finally, the spacer behind the gearbox sprocket may differ in width. If you have chain alignment problems, swapping it for the slabby item may help.

Edited by Dezza
  • Like 1

Cool. Thanks for that dezza.

I'm running a 190 tyre and I've spaced the sprocket to line up the chain on the gsxr. 

I have about 3mm clearance between the exhaust and sump.  I would have to use the gsxr sump any way because I have one off lines and cooler. I'm not fussed about the cam cover. 

It's only a temporary swap anyway until I've got my engine finished