1987 gsxr1100 cam chain guides

Posted (edited)

Hi all.  I have a horrible feeling I need to change my camchain guides. Is it possible to do it with out having to split the cylinder head and barrels.  

Last time I had to replace the head gasket was a total nightmare due to having wrong o'rings ( it turned out to be an issue with the gasket sets. Yes plural  ). 

Ive took a pic of my chain. It looks like it's rubbing  on something

I know I've got to drop the crank out to do the adjuster guide.

Thanks in advance

Screenshot_20240527-175921.png

Edited by lowriderade
Added some words
3 minutes ago, Duckndive said:

The Rear Blade on the tensioner wears more than the others and you need to remove head and block to replace it 

If you have a manual tensioner fitted it may be too tight accelerating the wear 

Got the standered auto tensioner. I did check the tension on the chain and it was slack. But after turning the engine over to do the tappets  the chain was tight. 

3 minutes ago, lowriderade said:

Got the standered auto tensioner. I did check the tension on the chain and it was slack. But after turning the engine over to do the tappets  the chain was tight. 

You could try removing and resetting it.....  

8 minutes ago, Duckndive said:

You could try removing and resetting it.....  

I couldn't get a tensioner spring so  popped  some washers on the shaft behind the spring  a couple of weeks ago. I didn't want to try pushing it.  I can't remember what the measurements were but I will re measure it with washers. 

I was going to try pushing the tensioner in one click but I don't fancy doing it

Posted (edited)

The front guide can be done after removing the cams. I can guarantee you that it makes contact with the chain 100% of the time, and makes a difference cam timing wise if its there versus not.

Edited by bunk
  • Like 1
15 hours ago, bunk said:

The front guide can be done after removing the cams. I can guarantee you that it makes contact with the chain 100% of the time, and makes a difference cam timing wise if its there versus not.

I did look at the front guide a few months ago and there was no sign of wear.  Im defiantly going with the tensioner guide being worn.

56 minutes ago, lowriderade said:

I did look at the front guide a few months ago and there was no sign of wear.  Im defiantly going with the tensioner guide being worn.

Well you'll find out on the way to total teardown :( 

Being there recently, thats a place i dont want to return to !

1 hour ago, bunk said:

Well you'll find out on the way to total teardown :( 

Being there recently, thats a place i dont want to return to !

Yep. Well I'm hoping i can pull the crank down enough to pull the guide out. I realy don't want to split the cylinder head from the barrels .  In the meantime time I'm going to measure the tensioner spring and maybe push it in one click. I'm also looking at another gsxr11 project.  Sadly I need to get my engine done as I don't want to miss any shows