$50 GSX600F engine cooling

Posted (edited)

First post,

Hi all, so I happened to pickup a seized GSX600F engine for $50, and I’m in the middle of doing a rebuild. So far everything has been going great,  found out engine seized because of a stuck gear in the starter assembly, and I’m currently waiting for a good deal on some 91 gsxr750 barrels and pistons/rods. With plans to eventually turbocharge it. But that’s not what I’m asking here. I’m planning on doing a small experiment by changing either the stock oil cooler over to a oil to water cooler, or trimming off some of the air cooling fins on the barrels to then create a box/passages that I can fill with coolant, then run a separate radiator, pump and overflow. This is all pretty much for s**ts and giggles but I thought it may be good to get some input, I’m not sure if either would be better or cooler but I don’t think it’s worth it to do both. What do yall think? Will I get better operating temps with an oil to water with a thermostat or should I water cool the barrels? Either way they should be beneficial when it’s boost time, but that’s for later, I still got more reading to do on this forum. Thank you posts from the last 2 decades XD

and thanks for your input 

7A618CDD-E4A4-46EF-826C-69D8844E9A17.jpeg

IMG_5996.jpeg

IMG_8592.jpeg

Edited by Upgrail
Called a gsx600f a katana
  • Upgrail changed the title to $50 GSX600F engine cooling