Oil weep from dowel pin

Hi All,

Got an 85 GS1150E (most GSX 1100 E,EF,EFE should be the same) with a strange location for an oil leak, Can anyone help me track down where I might be getting an oil leak from the lower tread section on the dowel pin as marked on the attached pic.  Could there be an oil way leaking into the pin. Has any one had this problem.

GSX engine .jpg

GSX oil ways.jpg

Yes, I've had this on my 1135 engined Kat, and I was puzzeld about it too at the time.

Could there be an oil way leaking into the pin.

That was my conclusion eventually. The seal at one of the oilways has failed, and oil would spread along the head gasket and seep out at the pin where there is no seal. (On some head gaskets this would not happen when a seal around the edge of the gasket is missing).

In the block there is a threaded hole in the dowel pin, which is where a bolt would fit on the earlier ET/EX/ESD engines. With the newer style cylinder head of the EFE this bolt disappeared, but strangely enough Suzuki kept the threaded hole in the EFE block (which was a new part as well).

So oil would seep out this threaded hole, seemingly coming from nowhere.
To fix it properly you'd of course have to fit a new head gasket (as there's an oil leak) but you might try the bodge fix of filling the hole with silicone gasket/RTV/nasty goo that has held up on my engine sofar. The stuff has however no chance of sticking unless you manage to clean and degrease the hole properly, which is a tricky task.

Edited by arnout
poor choice of words

Thanks Arnout,

That was my thinking but good to get confirmation it can happen as described. Its not that long since it was rebuild so the bodge fix might keep it dry for now until I get time to strip it back and replace the gasket.