1100 slabbie starter clutch

Is there a common problem with slabbie starter clutches? Rebuilt a knackered starter clutch with new rollers and springs as worn and slipping. During cranking i'm getting a nice clack on initial start up-first start of the day for example. Bike then starts fine without any issue for the rest of the day. When this first happened,  I had a nosey inside and the retaining bolt had backed off. This has been lapped on as usual and a dab of loctite added to the threads. Taper on crank all good. Recently stripped another 1100 engine and the starter clutch had shot the spring and plunger straight through the side of the clutch leaving a large hole. The two others looked like they were about to make the same bid for freedom. 

Yesterday when I went to start the bike, I just had spinning from the starter clutch and no engagement. It did catch eventually and start. 

I need to take a look to see if the nuts backed off again. The bike is running with a new motobatt and spins over fine. Also has a 5 degree ignition advance. I have a feeling the crank is back spinning and causing the loud clack, witch eventually backs the bolt off.

Is this common? I know the same starter clutch assy is used for many suzuki models from 600 bandits up to the 1200s and the gsxrs etc.

Thanks. TC.

Thanks. I'll pop the casing and have a look over the weekend. Did plan on swapping the ignition advancer back to standard so will do that at the same time off my spare engine. They dont tend to make much difference anyway. Happened to be fitted to the engine when I acquired it so just left it on.

Cheers.

Had a butchers and the bolt had backed out again. All back together and loctite on bolt. Crank taper fine with no damage. Ignition advancer removed and back to standard. Starter clutch internals All ok. All running good so far. No nasty noises from starter clutch which is nice.

• Like 1