B12 Clutch Basket Generator Gear Ring Removal

Ted M

I believe there are three big steel rivets that secure the basket to the gear. You'll have to either grind or drill the heads off to release and then again source some new rivets and secure them using many tonnes of press pressure! They can be seen on the parts fiche . . . . . https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/suzuki/motorcycle/2003/gsx-r750/clutch - its a 2003 750 clutch but the Blandit fiche is shite and barely shows anything, anyway the three round things on the back are the rivets, and guess what they ain't available from Suzuki! Aftermarket suppliers of Tuning parts can supply them!

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Gixer1460 said:

I believe there are three big steel rivets that secure the basket to the gear. You'll have to either grind or drill the heads off to release and then again source some new rivets and secure them using many tonnes of press pressure! They can be seen on the parts fiche . . . . . https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/suzuki/motorcycle/2003/gsx-r750/clutch - its a 2003 750 clutch but the Blandit fiche is shite and barely shows anything, anyway the three round things on the back are the rivets, and guess what they ain't available from Suzuki! Aftermarket suppliers of Tuning parts can supply them!

EDIT - Brain fart time! I don't know why I thought u meant the big primary gear - excuse my senility!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, fatblokeonbandit said:

Tightend the alternator up without engaging the drive gear first O.o

No mate putting the clutch basket back in. I can’t believe I’ve been so stupid it even says in the Haynes manual to be careful. I’ve now got to strip it to find/check for the missing gear tooth (I found 2). I managed to get a complete clutch with good plates but the basket was damaged in transit hence the reason I need to remove the gear ring to swap it over. 

@fatblokeonbanditmany thanks bud (y) I’ve got it done now. I used 2 tyre levers with a little bit of pressure and it came off no problem. I had tried them before but I must have positioned them too far under the gear ring as it was flexing when I applied pressure. This time I positioned them just under the alternator gear ring and they came off no dramas. 909B1E1C-9129-4EB4-A8F3-411D36AD0C8A.thumb.jpeg.70d138086ee8bd3324d65404fc63e5b4.jpeg

• Like 2