Slingshot/bandit/gsxf stem sizes

VJ

So the front end in my Gsx600f is a worn out gsxr400 set of usds that Ive decided to replace with a stock bandit 12 front end, that way I at least get conventional forks back and retain 4 pot nissins to slow her down (got a b12 engine in it)

Apparently I need to get a slingshot stem to press into the bandit bottom yoke and then it'l fit directly in, this is due to the stem being the same bearings but the bandit 1200 one is too long for the stock gsx6f frame. Does anyone have any pictures/measurements of the stem types in the title so I can confirm this? surely if im cunning I can get the bearing face turned down and put a spacer over the top?

Cheers

VJ

Yes the b12 is tooo long but don't wreck it by machining it , get a slingy one and press it in, the b12 ones are always easy to flog due to people doing the swop the other way and fitting slingy forks to bandits, i had a slingy stem until a few weeks ago and gave it to someone on here,, much easier to find than good b12 stems..

heres one i did earlier, slingy stem on the left bandit 1200 on the right:tu

DSCF4401.jpg

• Like 1

Cheers guys,

FBOB, any particular reason not to machine down? I have a friendly machineshop local, or is it just shitty steel that doesnt machine well?

I suppose If I buy a slingy bottom yoke and swap the stems, Id have a slingshot forks into b12 yoke spare I could sell to recover costs, thats if I could get into the sales page, my post count is too low at the moment :/

Cheers

VJ

If you have a bandit stem in a slingy USD bottom yoke its worth shed loads, ive seen them go for £75 or more... Not on here obviously :) but on a certain auction site we aren't supposed to mention,

as to machining the stem its not difficult, as long as you can cut the threads well, as they are very  fine. But much more cost effective to sell the bandit stem;)

• Like 1