Cam oiling issue… Again!

TiZiK

Well Gord. I think you’re correct. Just did a test. It drains right out. *facepalm*

Theres about 10mm from the end of the top end oiler bolt to the rocker shaft so that gallery is definitely open to the oil feed. 

Instead of epoxy, I’m thinking I’ll use a spacer with an oring on either side to seal off that gallery. 

Thoughts?

@Maggotbreath

4202E33F-7888-4B19-9A18-9F73D5BFFBBC.jpeg

7 minutes ago, Maggotbreath said:

I don't know George, seems risky. IMHO engine out is the safest way to go.

I have a couple tests going with some defcon. 
While I agree it’s somewhat risky, I want to confirm that this is what’s been causing my issues. It will only be temporary anyhow. 

I have a couple spare heads here and will probably be purchasing another soon that comes with cams and rockers etc. I’ll modify that one accordingly before install. 

Im out of town for work for he next couple days so won’t have access. I am really leaning towards doing the spacer and orings. 

I’ll sleep on it for a day or two. 

Im still pissed that I’ve gone through 4 sets of cams because of this. Lol 

Ok. Double pissed. Ha! Ive read that thread before but cut it short because of the dribble in between. 

Well, looks like I know what I have to do. I think that’s the only place that it’s mentioned about blocking the ports in the head. I don’t recall ever reading that before. It’s commonly mentioned that you have to block the ports in the cases. I just assumed the aftermarket block didn’t even allow for oil.  

• Like 1

So, I epoxied up the galleries in the holes where the top end oiler connects. Let cure overnight and reassembled everything last night. 
Obviously drilling, tapping and installing a grub screw is the preferred route but I don’t feel like pulling the head right now.

I left the cams and rockers in there that were squeaking. Fired up engine and as soon as oil got to the head, everything quieted down. No more squeak. Let run for a few minutes, shut it down, started again and she was still quiet and smooth. It was late and wife was already banging on the floor (her bed is directly above the lift where the bike  is. Lol) so left it for the night. 

Did a quick fire up this morning from dead nuts cold and everything sounded happy still. 

When I have time to get back in the shop, I’m gonna run it up to temp and get some oil pressure readings. 

0C713433-8279-48CC-9A17-DFC197E1E26D.jpeg

Edited by TiZiK
Added pic showing oil gallery that needs to be blocked.
  • Like 2