wheel spindle size

JLawson90

Worth a few quid being chucked at a decent spec alloy, engineering cheese is available, but not suitable for this sort of application. 

Quote 7075 T6 at your local machinist and he'll probably have a lump knocking about. I bought a 600 mm length for this job off of Eblag for about £8 a month or so ago, can be bought cheaper, but I didn't want a 3m length.

It'll anodise well if you want to stop the spacers turning furry overnight.

might just go with a good stainless to stop any errosion 

edit; on second thoughts, a chopper build could do with being made as light as possible haha, so i might make quite a few things out of ally instead of steel.. would this work?

http://www.Eblag.co.uk/itm/1-5-38-1mm-Diameter-x-Various-Lengths-Aluminium-Round-Bar-Grade-7075-T6-/111752537426?var=&hash=item1a04f86552:m:mD1_02qjX-Sa9jwEYAOjgww

Edited by JLawson90

Yup, that's the kiddie, shop around though, that's not cheap.

7075 is a grade of alloy that you can't really weld, it's very strong in compression and quite hard. It cuts well for machining, it likes anodising. Very strong in most applications, but if you make handlebars or pegs out of it, it tends to snap rather than bend. It's a bit brittle.

T6 is the hardening process that it's been through, can't remember off the top of my head if it work hardens or needs temp. 

Ideal for spacers, I wouldn't spec anything else for racing, anodise it and it'll stand up to road use if you look after the bits. Colour is an option, but hard an

We've been racing in Endurance for years with a 4mm wall thickness for the front, without any issues. Rear we tend to up it a bit to 5mm as the wheels tend to get thrown into the bike quite hard, though this is just the face at either end of the assembly where it hits the adjusters and only for about 6mm, there's a bit more meat on them than that, It's all about QD wheels specifically for Endurance and you've got to remember here that we're talking structural spacers that actually run through the wheel bearings. I'm guessing that you're going to rely on the seals holding them in in which case you'll not see any problems.  5.5 mm wall will happily handle the side load, the trick would be to keep them short, i.e. 20mm or so. 

If you're nervous go out to 35mm and you'll be fine.