Just brought an 05 Bandit motor home to put in a 91 750 frame for a street fighter project!

xracerfranz

Hey Y'all! 

Greetings from Georgia, USA! 

So, I've had a very clean 91 gsxr750 frame and 93 swing arm hanging around the garage for awhile and I have been plotting to build a tire smoking wheelie machine for fun. My first race bike back in `90 was a gsxr1100K, so there is some sentimental value here. I found a used bandit 1200 motor on E bay and just picked it up today from the freight terminal. 

Very excited. 

I've been trying to find a comprehensive parts interchangeability guide, which I swear I've seen here before. I'd like to put a newer lighter, radial braked frontend on it, plus newer, lighter wheels. I like the late 2000's stuff, but I need some specs. 

Any help from you lovely people would be helpful. 

60461192545--C07ECA07-1CEC-4127-BD72-4ABFC0E85CA2.JPG

60461193675--64D7D60B-5767-4C16-9DF7-122C345E8DD0.JPG

IMG-1235.JPG

The fork chart is knocking about in the vault somewhere. 
In all seriousness, I would just buy the front end you want and make it fit. Worst case scenario you’ll need a slingshot stem to be swapped into the bottom yoke and a little machining in the top yoke. Get your measuring tape out and go try it

On 2/28/2020 at 6:12 PM, xracerfranz said:

I've been trying to find a comprehensive parts interchangeability guide, which I swear I've seen here before. I'd like to put a newer lighter, radial braked frontend on it, plus newer, lighter wheels. I like the late 2000's stuff, but I need some specs. 

Any help from you lovely people would be helpful. 

60461192545--C07ECA07-1CEC-4127-BD72-4ABFC0E85CA2.JPG

60461193675--64D7D60B-5767-4C16-9DF7-122C345E8DD0.JPG

IMG-1235.JPG

.... for the front end swap you can use the  “ all balls racing”  website fork swap  guide..... 

• 1 month later...

Hey y'all , just in case someone is following, I've put a `94 750 swingarm on the bike , but I'm having issues getting the shock to fit. I'm using an 06 gsxr 1000 shock, having heard and read it's a direct bolt on...  I've tried several different pivot links, and it seems I should be using the M, or `91 link. 

Any insights?

On 2/28/2020 at 11:12 PM, xracerfranz said:

I'd like to put a newer lighter, radial braked frontend on it, plus newer, lighter wheels. I like the late 2000's stuff, but I need some specs. 

I have fitted a ZX6R B1h front end on my slabby. Bit of mucking about with head bearings, but apart from that, no problem.Sf1.thumb.jpg.e6377c51c4160d3e70922b06fbc81049.jpg

• Like 1
On 4/15/2020 at 7:38 PM, Captn said:

Link to the frame ears or shock to link, or link to swingarm?

Bottom link to lower shock mount. I had another answer from a member that recommended shaving some material from the top shock mount to allow some movement. I'm beginning to think i may just get a stock shock to use in the interim until I find a nice aftermarket unit in the future. There was no donor bike in this build.

On 3/1/2020 at 1:23 PM, no class said:

.... for the front end swap you can use the  “ all balls racing”  website fork swap  guide..... 

I ended up finding a `94 750 frontend, the blue one and decided that would be the way to go. It would probably qualify as the best that came on  gsxr's up until `94-`95. 

Maybe i'll upgrade down the road.  this was an easy fit, using the `91 lower tree.

Edited by xracerfranz

Something I noticed when looking at someones 1100 build (of the same year) is the upper shock mount is part of the frame, and seems to put the shock in a more vertical position. I want to be careful and not screw up the handling on this bike. I had a bmw s1000 shock which is considered a drop in mod for `91's, but since I used the braced arm from the `94, it buggered that idea. The reservoir on the shock hit the swingarm. I will have to use dogbones from a `94-95 as the ones from the 91 don't fit.

Ugh. So much hassle just because I wanted a braced arm. I've never done much the easy way... 

12 minutes ago, Captn said:

@xracerfranzI usually 1100 N frames and use 750 N swingers and 750 or 1100 shocks. Never had an issue with the bottom shock mount to link area. Your braced swinger is a bit different though.  Hopefully one of these links will line up.

Thanks. The 93 and 94 pivots were a bit short, the 91 was a little longer. I can't help but think a spacer on the top shock mount to frame interface might solve the clearance issues.  I just don't want to screw up the handling...