Mirror engineering

LightsOut

Looking for some creative ideas. My 750K had 1100 mirrors when I bought it, which were in not great shape. Then one of the bolts snapped when I was removing them so I decided to bin them and find some proper 750K mirrors – how hard can it be? Turns out, pretty hard :) I did however manage to find a very affordable aftermarket/NOS set online that looked the part and was supposed to fit. These Emgo 20-69760. Of course they turned out to be 30mm rather than the 52mm I need (which I honestly could've found out in advance, I just got a bit carried away when I found them).

Since I've been unable to find some proper ones I've been thinking about if there's a way to make them fit....

The bolts screw out with a hex key so they can be removed or replaced with something. The mirrors are aluminium so I can't weld directly on those, but I was thinking I could do a steel bracket that's the same shape as the mirror bottom, weld (or thread) two bolts with 52mm spacing into that and two more holes with 30mm and use those to secure it to the mirror. I'd need to use counter-sunk fasteners for that in order to have a flat underside.

I sometimes make things unnecessarily difficult for myself so if anyone has a better idea, feel free to stop me now :) 

IMG_1780.jpg

• 3 weeks later...