RS36 Mods

DesmoS4

I had the cable mechanism moved from between 2 & 3 to between 3 & 4 recently by Allens performance on my RS 38s. No parts were necessary but to have it on the side I think needs a new throttle shaft, the part numbers are in the manual supplied with the carbs. Call Allens and they will be able to tell you what is needed.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Don't mean to jump in on this, but i am running a set of RS36's on my slabbie too. having pulled the carbs off last week to give them a clean I have noticed the push cable was just cable tied to the pull cable, rather than fixed to the bracket with the lock nuts. 

On closer inspection it seems the push cable has the correct part number (for a standard Slabbie) but it only has one nut on the adjuster and a shorter threaded section than the pull cable. If the threaded section was 10mm longer and had a second nut, i could mount it the the carb plate properly. 

Can anyone tell me if they have had the same issues or perhaps my cable is a copy with the wrong bit on the end!?

Picture attached for comparison (push cable in question is to the left)

Cheers!

041847BE-7D78-4801-BE31-4DD1CEB5FCD2.JPG

IMG_5782.JPG

Do you mean an 1100 or a 750 slabby? An 1100 slabby only has one throttle cable as stock, obviously the opener, and relied on the butterfly return springs on the stock CV carbs to close. You can buy adjusters and other cable stiff from Venhill so it should be possible to modify your cables to work as opener/closer push/pull correctly, but try switching them round first. I have found that cables from other bikes work OK for the opener cable, but the close cable is often incorrect, ususally the inner is too long (but these can be shortened).

1 minute ago, Dezza said:

Do you mean an 1100 or a 750 slabby? An 1100 slabby only has one throttle cable as stock, obviously the opener, and relied on the butterfly return springs on the stock CV carbs to close. You can buy adjusters and other cable stiff from Venhill so it should be possible to modify your cables to work as opener/closer push/pull correctly, but try switching them round first. I have found that cables from other bikes work OK for the opener cable, but the close cable is often incorrect, ususally the inner is too long (but these can be shortened).

Hi Dezza,

Thanks for the reply. its a 750 H. Think I might have found out whats wrong - someone has drilled out the thread in the plate in the RS36 Carbs at some point. Should be able to get around it by slotting a nut and adding it to the push cable. Ive have a quick look this morning and i think there is enough adjustment left on the cable to allow me to fit the nut on the back of the plate on the carb.  

Failing that, as you say i will post it of to venhill and get a longer threaded part put on the end of it with two locking nuts like the pull cable has :tu