Gs loom defys laws of physics

Well having prised open and remade the original white wire connector pin. Ive definitely got continuity through the connectors to cdi .  I ve opened cdi black box and there's continuity through the troublesome white wire from loose end up to it's solder on the back of the cdi printed circuit board.  

It shows these symptoms at conector block ...

cdi plugged in , ignition on 12v at  OW, BY ,    0v at W 

Cdi unplugged, ignition on 12v at OW, BY and 12v at W

Where do the volts go ? How is it volts seem to me coming downstream from loom into cdi on white wire , but connect it to cdi and they're all gone . Wtf.  Maybe they're coming down ow into cdi and back up w , in which case why are there 12v at w when it's not connected . My simple electrics brain does not compute.  can anyone shed light on this ?

When it's running , stationary, on all four,  OW, BY have ten volts at cdi connector, W has 5v . 

Is this to do with resistors and capacitors in the cdi being worn out , or something I can fix in the loom .  Reluctant to spend ninety quid for another old cdi if it won't solve the problem .  

Tempted to get a complete b12 loom , cdi , controls etc as I have a b12 motor to put in it.  Wonder how that would work on this air cooled gsx750 , all the wires are the same , guess the ignition curve would be different but might be good enough.   Thinking aloud 

2 hours ago, richyrich said:

Is this to do with resistors and capacitors in the cdi being worn out , or something I can fix in the loom . 

Love that description - 'worn out' LOL Resistors and caps and most other components are solid state ie. no moving parts and will generally either work or won't and unless you understand what the component values are / should be, its virtually impossible to fault find - well unless you have a science degree! Substitution with a known working unit is usually the only tested way or replace with an alternative system that can tailor the ign. curve - Dyna or others? A Bandit system may work but the pick-ups will be the unknown as physically not similar?