Rebuild vm29ss or rs34s?

Macduff

It looks like my slabby carbs are in need of serious tlc as the idle /cold start ccts don’t appear to work as intended , it’s a pig to cold start and hot starts are on a whim and prayer. Idle mixture settings are rich to ease cold starts. So should I attempt to locate another set of vm29ss given they will probably be the same if not already rebuilt or get a set of new RS34s? My thought are fully rebuilt vms are running close cost wise to new RS carbs though I do want to keep airbox stock. Any thoughts issues ? Ps does the central throttle cable pos on RS carbs cause issues on slabbies. Will rs34s fit slabbing intake boots and airbox trumpets ? I don’t think I need bigger than 34s as engine is stock and when it is running is fast enough for my aged brain having got it up to 10k going through gears. 

Wouldn't it be cheaper to get them ultrasonically cleaned and maybe rebuild them? Don't your vm29ss have a pull lever/knob to activate the choke/cold start circuit?

A spare set if carbs is never a bad thing but fixing what you have is also a reasonably sensible option as well. As for fitting the RS34, the carbs spacing is different (but could work if you intend on having them spaced for your application). I have a set of both the vm29ss and RS34 and the throttle bodies/spigots do not line up.

3 hours ago, Z32650S said:

As for fitting the RS34, the carbs spacing is different (but could work if you intend on having them spaced for your application). I have a set of both the vm29ss and RS34 and the throttle bodies/spigots do not line up.

Hmmm! - maybe if you've got a set from a watercooled engine the spacing is wrong, but all the air and oil cooled Suzuki's and Kawa's of the period have the same inlet spacing 77 - 93 - 77. 'Onda's have an oddball spacing!

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Gixer1460 said:

Hmmm! - maybe if you've got a set from a watercooled engine the spacing is wrong, but all the air and oil cooled Suzuki's and Kawa's of the period have the same inlet spacing 77 - 93 - 77. 'Onda's have an oddball spacing!

Hey Gixer1460, thanks for clarifying, I didn't mean to muddy the waters. Seems I may have another RS34 rack than the GS ones. For reference here is a mikuni document with all the carb spacing for their RS series from 34 - 40. RS Series Radial Flat Slide Carburetors

Edited by Z32650S
link fix