Stripping a speedometer

Im stripping the speedo on my MK1 B12.

Im doing this because the chrome ring at the top is damaged. YES i could swap the whole unit but im an awkward cunt & want to keep the milage correct.

Now my question is when i remove the needle (because the new one isn't faded and will match the new rev counter needle & im wanting to fit white dials)

There is a coil spring thingy. When the needle comes off this un coiles. Is this set at a specific tension, will me buggering around with things fuck the speedo forever????

dont just pull it ofc or you  will bugger it up,  you need to pre tension the spring or it wont read right, all you do is gently bend the needle up over the stop and let it settle, the spring is now untensioned, mark the dial where the needle is. now pull the needle off of the shaft and swop them over, bend it up and over the stop its now tensioned correctly....simples..:tu

9 minutes ago, fatblokeonbandit said:

dont just pull it ofc or you  will bugger it up,  you need to pre tension the spring or it wont read right, all you do is gently bend the needle up over the stop and let it settle, the spring is now untensioned, mark the dial where the needle is. now pull the needle off of the shaft and swop them over, bend it up and over the stop its now tensioned correctly....simples..:tu

Sometimes the needle is tight on the shaft and wont pry up. Hold the speedcup (bell shaped piece behind clock) and turn the needle to break its grip on the shaft. I usually turn the needle anti-clockwise till it falls off in my fingers. The tiniest dab of superglue on the back of the needle and set it at the mark F.B. mentioned. ;)