My TL has done 12000KM from new, but has done a few race meetings and trackdays , I`d guess about half of those KM`s have been quite hard.

As you can tell by the KMs it has spent a lot of time laid up due to work/family commitments.

Its been making a light ticking noise for a while , but nothing that sounded too bad.

I was about to tuck it up for the winter with fresh oil and filter, and warming it up prior to this It started making a horrible crunching/rattle intermittently when blipping the throttle. It seemed to do it more leaning on the side stand then when upright or leaned to the right.

Runs fine apart from that.

I`m thinking cam chain tensioner or scissor gear problems ?

Any help appreciated !

All tl's give off a light ticking noise..thats std on them and i would worry if it didn't..

Very hard to give a diagnosis without being  able to hear it but they are prone to having clutch and starter bearing failure if sat more than used..as are most big twins.

God i miss my old tlr..the only bike i do deep down regret selling..cracking bikes.:tu

It doesn't do anything untoward at steady revs, only when blipping the throttle.

It has made the odd similar rattle/crunch when its very hot and stumbled at tickover.

You can feel the vibration through the frame when it makes the noise, its harsh :( 

I`m sat here with the manual, going to take out the cam chain tensioners out and inspect/clean them next.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got chance to look at the TL this afternoon

RHS fairing off, mechanics stethoscope at the ready to pin point rattle, got it nice and hot , NO RATTLE ???

Drained the oil, bugger all swarf on drain plug , all looks like it should after 2000 miles.

So, could it have been the cam chain tensioner sticking, now deciding to do its job ?

Oil and filter changed, run up and no noise.

Stethoscope shows front cylinder is a bit noisier than rear, but not worryingly so.

Just sorned it and off to play in the mud on the KTM till spring, so I`ll see what happens then.