94gsxr-W 600 sitting for 2 years

Hi all im new here wondering if you guys can help me out. Im trying to get this project oldskool say what now!? going after it has been sitting for 2 years outside no cover. Inside of the tank was lost to rust covered so i tossed it found one on Eblag clean . Also had carbs taken apart cleaned bike started sounds fine has 8k on the working clocks revs and temp gauges got up. So i took it for a spin to check the tranny and gears are sticking a bit i have to manually move the shifter back down after shifting from N-1-2-3 but sticks at 4-5-6 i didnt really get up to speed tires a dry rotted and its not safe i didnt pass 20mph but can it just need riding so the gears will loosen up a bit? I will do an oil change tomorrow 10-40 regular motorcycle oil and check clutch cable could use tightening it only engages towards the end of the lever. Any thing else i should check? Thanks for the input!

20160713_064813.jpg

Welcome to OSS.

Fuel taps are crap on these models, they often don't close with the engine off, next day you find the engine full of petrol if you're unlucky. New tap will work for a while.

All the gearshift linkage should be clean and lubricated. Many gearbox problems on GSX-R's are caused by seized gearshift lever/linkage.

And the usual stuff applies, change all fluids etc, grease all bearings, and it should provide lots of entertainment.