GSX550ES Updated running gear

Motovalet

Here's my 550ES following swapping out the complete front end for a GSX600F front end with 750F top yoke and clip ons and a 600F rear wheel, torque arm and caliper. Handles and brakes now! :-) Struggling to get the original half/bikini fairing to fit so as short term fix have used a rectangle RD125 headlight, not ideal but it sort looks like a baby EFE from a distance providing you squint!! I'd like to make a Kevin Schwantz GS700ES replica having done a UK spec GSX750ES/GSXR750 build previously.  I think the lines of the 550 follow the US market GS700ES a bit more faithfully than the UK 750ES model. With this in mind, I'm wondering if the UK spec GSX750ES motor would fit the 550 frame, anybody done this or know if it's a fairly straight forward swap??

14330110_10209197284223205_971881549259243676_n.jpg   

Edited by Motovalet

Well, I thought of this as I have a 750 long stroke L motor on my bench but I'm putting that in my 600 teapot instead as it's an easier swap. I know they go in the 750Es frames as I did one a few years back. When I measured up the 550's frame it looked as though the GSXR motor would be too tall and possibly foul the tank? For the Schwantz rep look it needs to be air cooled I think and that's why I'm wondering if it'll fit? I had a quick scan of fleabay but no 750ES motors listed and haven't found any in the breakers around my way to measure up :-( 

• 7 months later...

Hi i just got an account no this site because i saw that you fixed the front and rear end of an GSX600F. Would like to do the same (as i still have an extra gsx600fn for parts), being currently busy with fixing my GSX600FM for my wife and afterwards want to do my GSX550ESD. But could you explain a little bit about what had to be done? Is it nearly plug and play? Why did you use the yoke of a 750F?

7 hours ago, Ryan_GSX said:

Hi i just got an account no this site because i saw that you fixed the front and rear end of an GSX600F. Would like to do the same (as i still have an extra gsx600fn for parts), being currently busy with fixing my GSX600FM for my wife and afterwards want to do my GSX550ESD. But could you explain a little bit about what had to be done? Is it nearly plug and play? Why did you use the yoke of a 750F?

Always best to introduce yourself before asking questions ;) you will get a better response.