GSX750 ES 1983 Carb Switch

Nice bike! I've always liked the 750ES in this paint scheme.. It strikes me as odd that it was marketed as "GSX750E" like it says on the panels instead of "ES"..

Oh well..

As for installing different carbs the deciding factor is carb spacing.. AFAIK (but I really just know a bit  about the earlier 750/1100 GSX's) all 750/1000/1100 GS/GSX/(oilcooled)GSX-R bikes share the same carb spacing.. Another thing to consider is spigot OD as different carbs would need to suit the stock manifolds.. Stock carbs are Mikuni BS32SS, but fitting larger carbs is no use anyway.. I reckon VM29ss carbs (OEM on early GSX-R750) would be a nice thing to have on a 750ES, but I'm partial to flat slides..  :)

With fitting different carbs you also need to decide if you want to keep the airbox or use pods instead.. (both options have pros and cons..)

• Like 1

Thank you much! I'll be keeping the colour scheme in the rebuild, but not much more. I've already got the air box out, and there's no way it's going back in. 

I'm looking for a nice fuel tank too actually.

You're quite right about the carbs, though I've been told somewhere else that a set of rs34s would be the way forward. Would you agree?

The model I can find for sale does apparently for my bike...

I'll definitely take a look at the vm29s though.

This bike was called something different everywhere it was sold. So odd.

Edited by SmokeandJoe
Spelling Error
On ‎27‎-‎6‎-‎2016 at 10:01 PM, SmokeandJoe said:

You're quite right about the carbs, though I've been told somewhere else that a set of rs34s would be the way forward. Would you agree?

Hmmm.. 34mm seems rather big to me for a low revving 750.. (general rule of thumb is one size down compared to stock or otherwise suitable cv carbs)

But if you'd happen to have a lead on a cheap set of RS34s I'd be eager to try them on the 750ES anyway..

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/27/2016 at 8:54 PM, arnout said:

Nice bike! I've always liked the 750ES in this paint scheme.. It strikes me as odd that it was marketed as "GSX750E" like it says on the panels instead of "ES"..

Oh well..

As for installing different carbs the deciding factor is carb spacing.. AFAIK (but I really just know a bit  about the earlier 750/1100 GSX's) all 750/1000/1100 GS/GSX/(oilcooled)GSX-R bikes share the same carb spacing.. Another thing to consider is spigot OD as different carbs would need to suit the stock manifolds.. Stock carbs are Mikuni BS32SS, but fitting larger carbs is no use anyway.. I reckon VM29ss carbs (OEM on early GSX-R750) would be a nice thing to have on a 750ES, but I'm partial to flat slides..  :)

With fitting different carbs you also need to decide if you want to keep the airbox or use pods instead.. (both options have pros and cons..)

Any ideas where I may get a set of vm29's? I'm having no joy..