B12 4x clutch spring mod

I'm running 4 clutch springs in my bandit, up from the regular 2 and it's been working great. All i did was shave down the nut the same amount of thickness as the 2 springs. However I've noticed that the clutch slave has deformed the metal guard over it enough to break it loose, rubbing it against the chain. When checked against my parts bike the first pushrod under the sprocket cover slides into the motor 8mm more than the stock motor, causing the slave to extend further than the guard allows, pushing it into the chain. 

2 extra springs shouldn't add that much distance from what I remember seeing when I was working in the clutch area. I did replace the middle pushrod with one from a 2001 but they share the same part number to my 99 so it's not that.

I'm just going to get some 5mm diameter rod and cut my own to lengthen it, but was curious if anyone else ran into this. I'm too poor for a lockup.