Oil pressure problem

20240427_140112.thumb.jpg.14f955a89d634986b185966941bbd98f.jpg1200 Possible high oil pressure 

Hello, I'm new here & hoping someone might be able to shed some light on what's happened to my motor! I've got a mk1 1200 bandit engine in a hardtail frame. The engine had stood for 20 years when got it & had only 2000 miles on it. I've had it on the road for 2 years & 4000 miles with no problems. A couple of weeks ago I changed the oil and filter,  replacing the champion filter that was fitted with a hiflo filtro one that I had in the cupboard.  I then went out on the bike & after 4 miles pulled over to check for leaks, oil was being pushed out of the breather & dripping off the cooler.  By the time I got it back home the cooler was split & spraying oil out. The cooler was an after market one of unknown origin but had done 4000 miles with no problem.  

My initial thought was a faulty filter causing a build up of pressure in the cooler but now I'm not so sure & an thinking possibly a stuck oil pressure regulator in the sump. Has anyone heard if anything like this happening? I've ordered a HEL cooler but don't want to fit until I'm sure what's caused the problem.  Cheers in advance! 

Edited by PJbanditchop
  • PJbanditchop changed the title to Oil pressure problem
6 hours ago, PJbanditchop said:

My initial thought was a faulty filter 

That was my first thought. Id take the filter out and have a look/cut it up. Hopefully all the filter media is still in the filter.

Cheers for the replies, I've had a good look at the filter but not cut it up yet. The holes in the internal metal case are smaller than in the ones in the champion filter, so I ordered a new hiflo one to compare as I had the suspect one in my cupboard for a few years. The new hiflo one has much larger holes so I thought I'd found the problem,  I then ordered a genuine suzuki filter from a main dealer & that has smaller holes than any of them!