77 GS750 w/ Bandit swing arm: wheel fit?

Hi, 

(introduction at the bottom.)

77 GS750 w/ Bandit swing arm: wheel fitment?
I’m about to order a bandit swing arm and I couldn’t find any more info searching. 

Cognito said they can lace my stock gs750 hub with 17” excel wheel.  Other than making my own spacers and getting new bearings I can’t picture any other issues I might run into? Anyone done this or know of someone?

I’m Kay, live on the CT/MA line. Been into bikes since I was a kid. Built my first XS650 TC brothers bobber 10+ years ago and have collected a bunch of projects since. Kept hoarding projects and sold a few the last few years but I decided hoarding motorcycles is better and projects keep me sane lol I’m sure you know what I mean. This winter the GS is on table. IMG_7623.thumb.jpeg.39a10078460f53baadec28e884d6a702.jpeg

Hi Kay,do you actually want a spoked wheel at the rear ? Would you not want to match the front 3 spoke wheel ? If so go for a bandit wheel ,it'll fit the arm straight off then you'd just have to set up the chain run and you can choose from a 4.5/160 (600 bandit) or a 5.5/180 (1200 bandit) 

On 1/14/2024 at 4:23 AM, DAZ said:

Hi Kay,do you actually want a spoked wheel at the rear ? Would you not want to match the front 3 spoke wheel ? If so go for a bandit wheel ,it'll fit the arm straight off then you'd just have to set up the chain run and you can choose from a 4.5/160 (600 bandit) or a 5.5/180 (1200 bandit) 

Hi Daz, the front wheel is getting replaced with the cognito gsxr laced wheel. So I originally planned to weld length into the stock swing arm and have it laced to a 17” rim. but I got a a nice looking bandit 1200 swingarm from the salvage yard.  if I could make this rear hub work with it and get new spacers I will be in good shape.  Still open to the first idea and the bandit swingarm can be used on the next project. 

Edited by ITSshaBOY
  • Like 1
  • 2 months later...

I know this is a dated post but my experience:

I put a 2002 GSXR750 swingarm on my GS750. Simple swing arm bushings allowed for this install. However, if you go a wider rear wheel with the GS750 engine, you'll run into chain issues. A GS1000 or a Katana GSX750 engine will solve that issue.

Pic below - stock GS750 bolt - then stock GSXR bushing and the replacement bushings.

Swingarm bushings.PNG

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 77 GS750 with a bandit swingarm. If you go wider than stock rear wheel the problem is you can't easily just offsett the front sprocket as the entire clutch release mechanism sits in the way. So it's either swapping to a gsx engine or a gs1000 as mentioned, or there are spacer kits as mentioned in another post here.

Chain and frame clearance also becomes a slight issue with a 180 rear wheel

Edited by gorbys