1981 GS550L Dyna DS3-2

I picked up an edi DS3-2 from Eblag Eblag link. All of these on Eblag claim to work like the official. I know they are a knock off, but i am unsure it is correct. I installed it and power it from a 12vdc 10amp power supply. The device seems to be normal collected to ground. But when the magnet passes the sensor it disconnects from ground. This is completely different then I expected watching this YouTube video Link. I am lost and confused. Is this correct? If it is it would seems the ignition coil would be energized all the time except for a small amount of time. To me this seems backwards. Any guidance would be appreciated. 

Don't believe everything you see on UTube as gospel - a sizable proportion is posted by people who want to 'be a famous youtuber' but have little knowledge or understanding about what they host ! ! !  At least you've acknowledged the item you've bought is a 'knock off' Whether it works correctly only time will tell. And yes the modules are powered all the time as is the ignition coil - when in your case the ign. points are closed. When replacing the points with the DS3-2, a magnet takes over from the points and breaks the low tension windings in the coil/s which collapses the magnetic field inducing a voltage in the high tension windings that produces a spark. This happens REALLY quickly ie. 4 cyl bike @ 900 rpm idle the coil / s are being charged and discharged 15 times per second and obviously something like 165 times / second @ 10k rpm! Its also why ign. is powered 'key on' otherwise coils permanently 'on' would overheat and / or flatten the battery double quick time!

With the help here and some internet friends The bike has fired. I think I have time timing correct but not 100% sure as this is the first time I have ever done this. But for the first time in 35 years it roared to life. It also ejected smoke, mouse stuff out the exhaust. It was odd but it felt like barn find confetti.

With a GS / GSX you have the advantage of being able to use a timing light to get the base timing 'right' - the strobe should 'freeze' the timing mark through the hole in the plate. I never really bothered after setting the plate roughly in the middle of the slots - engines ran well enough so left well alone LOL!

• Like 1