Slingshot rear wheel size

Basel

Is it me or as I’m getting older it looks smaller…. haha

The GSXR1100 L has a 5.5” wide rear wheel, it doesn’t look as wide to me as I looked when they were newer.

I remember newer GSXR models did have 6” rear wheel width, my 1000 L is fitted with a 750 WP swingarm, it looks tight like I don’t think I’d get a 6” into the swingarm and clear the chain.

Has a 6” wheel been fitted into a slingshot with slingshot or WP swingarm ?

What wheel would be the one to go for ?

Pretty sure you can get a 6" wheel in there, but you'll have chain line clearance issues. The W wheel is a good upgrade over the stock sling shot wheel just with the weight savings. Newer wheels will drop even more weight, but all of the newer GSXRs use much larger axles that you'll need to make spacers for to fit on the old skinny axles.

• Like 1
On 8/15/2023 at 7:02 PM, Upshotknothole said:

Pretty sure you can get a 6" wheel in there, but you'll have chain line clearance issues. The W wheel is a good upgrade over the stock sling shot wheel just with the weight savings. Newer wheels will drop even more weight, but all of the newer GSXRs use much larger axles that you'll need to make spacers for to fit on the old skinny axles.

If I just bolt in day a GSXR1000 K2 backend do you know if the swing arm will fit inside the frame and if the spindle is the same size ?

This would cure the problem of fitting the wheel if it did all bolt in but give me as I read elsewhere top of shock mounting problems, really I’d just be shifting problems from one area to another. 

14 minutes ago, Basel said:

If I just bolt in day a GSXR1000 K2 backend do you know if the swing arm will fit inside the frame and if the spindle is the same size ?

This would cure the problem of fitting the wheel if it did all bolt in but give me as I read elsewhere top of shock mounting problems, really I’d just be shifting problems from one area to another. 

Unfortunately K series swing arms aren't just bolt on affairs. Usually either the top shock mount needs to be altered or where the bottom linkage mounts to the frame needs to be moved. The swing arm itself should fit, but the pivot spindle size will be different. Easy bolt on setup is the braced 750w swing arm if you can find one, but they're the same length as the stock 750 swing arm, and will give a pretty short wheel base.

Really all depends on how much work you want to do. W wheels will swap right in to your current setup and drop some weight. I've got a K4 1K swing arm in my 7/11, but it required a new top shock mount to be fabricated up. Someone on here was doing brackets that bolt on to the bottom of some of the slingshot frames that allow busa and some other early K swing arms to mount up, but I can't remember which frames they work with. I want to say they worked with the frames that came stock with dual exhausts, but don't quote me on that. Worth searching around for and anything can be made to fit with enough time and money.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Upshotknothole said:

Unfortunately K series swing arms aren't just bolt on affairs. Usually either the top shock mount needs to be altered or where the bottom linkage mounts to the frame needs to be moved. The swing arm itself should fit, but the pivot spindle size will be different. Easy bolt on setup is the braced 750w swing arm if you can find one, but they're the same length as the stock 750 swing arm, and will give a pretty short wheel base.

Really all depends on how much work you want to do. W wheels will swap right in to your current setup and drop some weight. I've got a K4 1K swing arm in my 7/11, but it required a new top shock mount to be fabricated up. Someone on here was doing brackets that bolt on to the bottom of some of the slingshot frames that allow busa and some other early K swing arms to mount up, but I can't remember which frames they work with. I want to say they worked with the frames that came stock with dual exhausts, but don't quote me on that. Worth searching around for and anything can be made to fit with enough time and money.

It’s all something to think about, I have a 750WP (banana) swingarm but it’s too short, I want it a bit longer (said the hooker to the vicar) so will have to measure up and see what comes up. 
mid the 1000 K arm longer than the 750 arms ??

1 minute ago, Basel said:

It’s all something to think about, I have a 750WP (banana) swingarm but it’s too short, I want it a bit longer (said the hooker to the vicar) so will have to measure up and see what comes up. 
mid the 1000 K arm longer than the 750 arms ??

Not by much. My 7/11 wheel base is maybe 20mm longer than a mid 00s GSXR 750. Busa swing arms are longer and easy enough to extend, but weren't really ever known for being light. I think the 1100w swing arms are longer too, but I don't really know much about the Ws other than the bits I've pulled off to mount to slingshots.

1 minute ago, Upshotknothole said:

Not by much. My 7/11 wheel base is maybe 20mm longer than a mid 00s GSXR 750. Busa swing arms are longer and easy enough to extend, but weren't really ever known for being light. I think the 1100w swing arms are longer too, but I don't really know much about the Ws other than the bits I've pulled off to mount to slingshots.

1100W are a good bit longer than the 750W arm in mine. 

I was after something a bit different from what I did over quarter of a century ago. 

• Like 1