bsr36ss Carb mixture ajustement confusion

Having a big confusion here….

After cleaning my carbs on my 2006 E-28 canadian GSF1200, i needed to set my mixture screws.  Have a english copy of a 2005 manual and mixture screw setting is 3.5 turns…. Have also the french version of the same manual and setting is 3 turns…

Witch one is the good setting?

69FDC467-871F-4897-B43E-D427635A34D0.png

78EE0457-9165-45B4-B3DF-A70883946D4B.png

Everybody told me to start with 2 turns...  But runned like shit!!!!   When i saw that, set it up at 3 and runned better, but still need to make my synchro with those new settings to see on highway the feeling...  So gonna try to go further in adjustements.

BTW Since i cleaned it, I never got back the Choke/starter function working at 2.225 turns. Found that plungers was vacuum leaking so replaced all fours... Still the same shit..  Now a 3 turns, seem to have gained 5 seconds choke, but weather was hot as crazy here at that time...  Gonna try this morning since it's more colder.

Last week was hot, i could feel the power lost between early morning and late afternoon on my work commute on my rf900. (Im in st-hyacinthe)

Warm the engine up and sync those carbs before fiddling more with mixture screw, you need them working together.

And did you  inspect needle jets (emulsion tubes) while carbs were out ? Ovalised ones will fuck carb setups at low rpm/load

I think you also have a tps you can tune when carbs will be sync

Edited by Physician
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/27/2022 at 10:23 AM, Physician said:

Last week was hot, i could feel the power lost between early morning and late afternoon on my work commute on my rf900. (Im in st-hyacinthe)

Warm the engine up and sync those carbs before fiddling more with mixture screw, you need them working together.

And did you  inspect needle jets (emulsion tubes) while carbs were out ? Ovalised ones will fuck carb setups at low rpm/load

I think you also have a tps you can tune when carbs will be sync

Well tps was adjusted as requested by shop manual…. 

By ovalised, are you mentioning the opening where the jet needle is going thru? Cause at my first carb overhauling, i putted a complete Allballs kit in (except the emulsion tube) and runned like shit and no choke…. Put back all gunk cleaned old stuff in and still no choke…. Cranked mixture screws a 3.25 turn now…. Choke last 5-10 second and run rought after until hot…. Float level is within specs (13mm) and double checked…. Wondering if need to raise or lower float level…

On 8/11/2022 at 8:57 PM, Banditmtl said:

Well tps was adjusted as requested by shop manual…. 

By ovalised, are you mentioning the opening where the jet needle is going thru? Cause at my first carb overhauling, i putted a complete Allballs kit in (except the emulsion tube) and runned like shit and no choke…. Put back all gunk cleaned old stuff in and still no choke…. Cranked mixture screws a 3.25 turn now…. Choke last 5-10 second and run rought after until hot…. Float level is within specs (13mm) and double checked…. Wondering if need to raise or lower float level…

Exactly. The needle jet hol ovalised and it allow more fuel.

My 98 bandit did that. As soon as i change them it became smooth as it was suposed.

My current rf900 did that too.

You can buy them on megazip or other parts sellers. Last time i checked (2 years ago) i found 4 for about 140$ shiped (cad)

Factorypro also sells harder one that will last, but can wear the needle. 

• 2 months later...

Update: After taking out again the carbs for diaphargms replacement as prevention, and still no choke more tant 2-5 seconds ( even no choke lately) last mid and hot days saw that at cold morning was not so bad once engine was normal temperature  but the more the outside temp raised, the more the throttle was shit at mid revving and cruise. 

Today found more infos on Factorypro website about ajusting carbs...  If by logic everything is OEM as before Overhauling, the only thing left are bad ajustments... opened the float bowls today and , i don't know why, float level was around 11mm... reset them at 14 instead... put everything back  on... Started engine do synchos with mixture screws still left at 3.25 turn...   When on a ride, temperature was 20Cel... could feel that on cruise sometime, have some hesitations and some dead spots on accelerations...  seem ok over 5500rpm...  Back home, turned down mixture screws a 2.5....  When on a ride tonight (15Cel outside) seem much more better... Need to test it out at warmer temp...