Fork swaps

Zepp

Technical help required. 

I currently have a pair of Gsxr 600/750 k6/7 forks fitted on my Spondon. The yokes are 53mm (bottom) and 50mm (top). 

I aim to fit a pair of r1 forks as they have the 130mm caliper mounts and I want a pair of ISR 6 pots which are 130mm. 

Firstly do you think it is okay for me to mill out the bottom yoke wall by 0.5mm to give the extra 1mm diameter even though there isn't a huge amount of meat on them to start with?

Secondly I have a pair of Gsxr 100 wheels which I'd like to keep and use in the forks. Are R1 spindles a possible option to fit the Gsxr wheel or would I just be better off getting r1 wheels?

just that I have no reliable information on all sizes, diameters and spacing of all options. Making spacers is not an issue. 

Youre input is gratefully received. 

IMO taking 0.5 out of a bottom yoke will not be an issue, You'll be nowhere near taking anything from the clamp mounting bolts and the design would have had some considerable over engineering built into it's design. If it looks like it won't work, get back to me. I have access to all sorts of Spondon/Talon yokes, though the spacing will be wide. All designed for QD. Can't pretend that I'll be quick sorting it out either as it will mean a long trawl through parts bins that I can only access at weekends.

Those wheels could be an issue though, so I'd try and stick with S. You don't say what year the R1 wheels are, but they tend to use large caliper mount diameters, they could be a ball ache to shim or fit spacers to, let alone turn them down. Good news is that ISR will make just about anything in the disc department. May take some time, but he's good.

• Like 1