GS1000 GSXR swap but with a twist

Hi Guys,

I am refurbishing an open wheel hill climb car which I purchased. It has a GS1000 engine. At this point I should say I know nothing about motor bike engines but I have been trying to get my head around everything. The GS1000 engine doesn’t run. I’m thinking I could get it rebuilt or swap it for a used but newer and more powerful GSXR1100. I figure cost wise the swap option may be cheaper and I will end up with a better overall package.  As it is a track car the engine compartment isn’t as restricted as a bike frame. There is plenty of room. The current engine GS1000 engine is mounted at 3 points to the chassis.  2 at the rear and at the base of the motor. What I can’t workout is whether a GSXR1100 will drop straight in to the current mounting points or will the engine mounts need to be relocated. Also will the GSXR engine sprocket be in the same place as the GS1000 so it will be in the same plane to line up with the rear axle sprocket.  Any help much appreciated. 
regards Andrew

Hi and Welcome.

A word of caution; 

This a motor cycle forum.  Please have a re-think before you post pictures of your project.

We do appreciate the GS1000 and the GSX R 1100 you mention, stock or in modified form and even with an engine swap.

The swap you are thinking - GSXR1100 in to a GS1000 frame has been done before. most choose a oil cooled variety .

Water cooled swap might even work better for you.

Most of the stuff fits if you change the mounting point.

Your application won't be any different; just change the frame mounts but keep the chain line in spec.

Again.. motor cycle forum and bike oriented -  NO cars here.

Thank you.

• Like 5