starting work on the efe finally

Hi all, almost got the new workshop finished, its 28'x12' need to complete a few jobs but almost there, cant finish as all the merchants are closed, (plasterboard, boiler etc), so started work on the efe, i have had it for a while now but have not done anything with it, prob more to do with no workshop facilities, but not anymore.

had a delivery today from grumpy1260, dynojet kit, taylor leads, dyna coils bottom end gasket set, k+n pod filters, so set about fitting a set of blandit 12 36s as the original cards are well and truly fubar, fitted the dynojet kit to them and fitted the carbs, fired up straight away but is rough, spitting popping, farting and generally unhappy, but it starts much easier than the original carbs, one blip on the throttle and its revving to 6 odd k on its own, turned off and checked for air leaks but nothing obvious so started again, idled ok ish but as soon as i touched the throttle same thing happens, so off again and went to turn down idle screw only to find its stuck on the camchain tensioner, and its now bent, i thought the carbs were tight to get on! took off the carbs and found a big piece of rubber stuck in the butterfly prob from the new k+ns, so hopefully thats why it was revving its nuts off, need to modify the idle screw so its on the side rather than underneath which i have started  but not finished yet, but will complete tomorrow, i will refit the carbs and then set about balancing and tweaking.

does anyone have any info on base settings for the carbs?, i know i will need some dyno time but would like to get it reasonable, settings are,

150 mains, dynojet stage 3 fitted, needles on top setting mixture screws 2 1/2 out, i think the mains are too big but they came with the kit and i dont have any others ,k+ns , stainless laser  pipe, motor is stock i think

plan is to run it during this summer as is then rebuild during the winter its got most of the bits on it that i would want, i have been out of the whole modifying bike thing for 15 odd years so have no bits and pieces that you tend to collect, so starting from scratch, as it were.

i will post progress good and bad.................................

unnamed.jpg

efe1.jpg

• Like 2

so... put the carbs back on, connected everything back up and fired up straight away,  still a crap idle but much less popping and spitting accepting throttle and then back to idle, so i guess the stray bit of rubber was the cause of  super fast idle, let it warm up a bit and although cleaner is very rich by my reckoning i will order some 120 and 130 mains and try them, connected vacuum gauges to check carb  balance , absolute country mile out so with a bit of frigging got them all pretty even, now idles like a sewing machine, really smooth, throttle response is very crisp too, so all good stuck it all back together and sat down admiring it with a cup of T.

so lessons learnt, fitting mk1 bandit carbs to an efe no problem except for the idle screw which fouls the camchain tensioner, at least it does with factory one, maybe an manual one will give clearance but i haven't got one i cant say for sure, also needs a bandit throttle cable as the efe one is too short, same for the choke cable, although i haven't  fitted one yet, cant make up my mind whether to fit bandit l/h switchgear and then the choke cable would at least be a std part or bastardise one and keep the original switchgear .

anyway some more pics of it back together

unnamed.jpg

efe2.jpg

efe3.jpg

• Like 3