GSXR K3 forks on a Mk2 Bandit - to extend or not?

Ernie

Hello all

As with most topics I bet this has already been answered but I'm prepared for the abuse so here goes..

I have a modified Mk2 1200 bandit and have fitted some GSXR 1000 K3 forks to it. They are around 50mm shorter than original, the bike looks great lower but I'm sure its too low (Ive matched the height reduction at the rear) and would like to extend the forks ideally 50mm so I can set the ride height somewhere between stock and how it sits now. CNC yokes will make a stepped top yoke but I have a cool steering damper that will then not fit so, who makes fork extenders, how can I get them and can they be fitted without special tools?

Cheers

First take the time to read the rules matey:tu

You don't need 50 mm extenders, you can get away with 25mm shorter than standard, 775mm,  so 750 ish mm  will be fine, the cheapest and easiest way,  is to make a stepped yoke out of the one you have, then you can retain the steering damper, not that any bandit ive ridden actually needs a damper...:tu

ive done this to several of the bandits ive had,,

o5KtiAh.jpg

6KB35dP.jpg

4TxNjZB.jpg

pIRntTW.jpg

368tZvp.jpg

Ux9sAmF.jpg

Edited by fatblokeonbandit

Im at dry build stage at the moment, ive taken the project over half finished, ahem..

I say the rear is lowered because it has a K3 arm on it with hand made dogbones, I don't have standard to compare them to. My plan is to build it up with an exhaust, measure, compare and see where I end up. Given that the forks are 50mm shorter than bandit ones though I think clearance will be a problem. The extended standard yoke idea looks reasonable and good to know that 25mm is enough. If bolt in extenders are available id still prefer them I think if they're not too much £££

bandit 1.jpg

4 hours ago, fatblokeonbandit said:

Whats the length of your dog bones and what rear shock have you got on there??:)

Not sure, don't think its relevant as the bottom linkage mount has moved, I think to where a GSXR one is? Its been done really well so I am hoping the guy who did it put some science into it. Ive ordered some 50mm fork extensions and will set up the rear accordingly I suppose. It has a Maxton remote res shock which seems like a decent bit of kit.

• Like 1