Need carb advice

billd

Posted in air cooled by mistake! So posting again here. 

Struggling with VM29's on a 1985 GSXR750F, may persevere but is there a better carb that offers smooth idle and good throttle response? Not interested in increased performance and want to run the original air box and filter. Your comments please

Yours must be fucked, I'll give you a fiver for them :D

I've got smooth idle and decent throttle response with mine, and I've junked the airbox. That said, there are likely to be some very worn sets of these carbs out there now.

Have you done the basics? I.e. removed, stripped, cleaned and inspected them before putting everything to factory spec?

• Like 1

I benched a set of VMs as they refused to work consistently for the starting /idling ,&  re-starting when hot jobs you kinda want them to do well. I had swapped the idle jets for new ones and made sure needle jets emulsion tubes were ok but the fekkers refused to play nicely. Bought a 2nd set swapped my new idle jets into those and hey presto its sorted. I suspect my crap set have crud in the carb internals and a proper ultrasonic clean is needed to bring them back. however I'll never want to find out if that's a cure given the pita stripping effort , cost of cleaning and major PITA job of swapping carbs just to find out if they are fixed so I've decided that they are best  kept as spare parts for Justin. 

5 hours ago, billd said:

Posted in air cooled by mistake! So posting again here. 

Struggling with VM29's on a 1985 GSXR750F, may persevere but is there a better carb that offers smooth idle and good throttle response? Not interested in increased performance and want to run the original air box and filter. Your comments please

1100G Carbs, tried and tested and on mine - smooth as you like.

I did this conversion with feedback from an ex TT racer supported by Dynojet who did all the research to achieve a more ride-able power delivery. CVs from an 1100 G, Dynojet Stage 1, original airbox and filters. Had a hole drilled in the slides by a rolling road, seemed to help - its super smooth all round

They fit with original rubbers and airbox

Edited by wsn03