Anyone know the correct amps for replacing battery terminal cables

Jpich85

I’m making some custom battery terminal cables as I’ve relocated the battery and the original cables aren’t long enough, are 70 amp cables ok or 110 amp? I’ve bought a set of both but the 110 amp ones are to thick for me to get in position so I wanted to ask if the 70 amp will be ok?

the 70 amps or 10mm squared and the 110 16mm squared.

cheers

Thanks boys, i want to use the 16mm but I need quite a tight bend to get in the battery box and it’s just a little too thick, so would you say the 10mm is definitely not suitable? If so I’ll make the 16mm work.

nice photos kurf very clean, hopefully mine might look that clean but some of the electrical components are to grubby 

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, Jpich85 said:

Thanks boys, i want to use the 16mm but I need quite a tight bend to get in the battery box and it’s just a little too thick, so would you say the 10mm is definitely not suitable? If so I’ll make the 16mm work.

It's not that straightforward. The result depends on various factors like how good battery and starter you have, how much compression ratio and so on. Most likely 10mm2 will be fine if you have a fresh battery, weather is quite warm and everything else is in good condition. But if you have a bit tired battery and engine oil is stiff due to cold weather then you may not get enough juice to the starter with thin cables.

One option is to use 10mm2 cable where necessary and make the rest with 16mm2. For example if you have a short link from the battery to the starter relay with 10mm2 and then longer piece from the relay to the starter with 16mm2 it's almost as good as all 16mm2.