GSX1100et Battery killer

Hi my GSX is killing a battery every 6-9 months (while the ignition is off but still connected to bike) its a old style acid type and about to up grade to gel type

the bike is running Dynatek ignition and coils with Eletrex  regulator it also has a NOS wire loom

any sensible ideas?  

Well.. The charging circuit has always been the weak spot on aircooled GSX's.. The stock reg/rec is the culprit, but even aftermarket Electrex regulators can break (I managed to break 2 units..) The voltage regulation is poor, and units close to breaking down are easily identified by the indicator flashing rate going up/down with the engine revs..

First actually measure the actual charging voltage both at the battery as well as the AC voltage from the alternator (as described in the service manual) to determine if the fault lies with the reg/rec or the alternator is fried as well..

Replacing the Electrex for a more modern mosfet-type regulator (like the Shindengen FH010/FH012/FH020) is a very good idea, as it is very reliable and delivers a constant voltage unlike the older type regulators..

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

As Jonboy mentioned in another topic undoing the stock wiring of 3rd phase 80VAC running through the light switch on the handle bars by bypassing it and connecting it to the regulator the same way as other 2 phases, will help a lot too in preventing the risk of the alternator and/or regulator getting fried.

It really is a simple and straightforward mod.. So "matter of fact" that I forgot to mention it myself earlier.. 9_9