GS1000 (CV Carb) Float Needle - Springy?

gs7_11

I've got some Mikuni BS34 CV carbs in outstanding condition for my GS. Quick question: are the float valve needles meant to have a springy bit, as per almost every other carb I've ever worked on?

Or did something change with these? I guess it would apply to GSX1100 carbs too.

The needles I've got don't compress at all, i.e. the little shaft at the bottom of the plunger is fixed, not spring loaded. Am I right in thinking these have seized up?

1 hour ago, Fjbj40 said:

My 83 gsx1100esd has the spring on the needles. I suspect yours are seized. I usually soak them in Hoppes#9 gun cleaner and it typically cleans and frees them up.

http://www.hoppes.com/traditional/no-9-solvent

Thanks. :tu

Actually, whilst waiting,, I'd ordered a new needle, and sure enough, springy!

I'm surprised all 4 have seized up that way, but then it does seem these carbs have been stood for a while. All 4 pilot jets were clogged up....soaked them in vinegar to clear them.

Anyway, I've now ordered another 3 float needles.

15 minutes ago, Fjbj40 said:

If you can get it try the Hoppes, it is not corrosive like vinegar and will clean them in a superior way!

No, you're ok thanks. It's £16(!!) on Eblag, and my pilot valves were perfectly clean. Not sure how they could have been cleaned in a superior way! ;) Unless you mean it smells nicer, which I won't argue about. xD

I used a can of carb cleaner from my local car shop (£3.95) to get the worst bits off, then lemon juice in the float bowls, agitated with a small paint brush, comes up like brand new. Carb cleaner and compressed air ensures all the drillings are clear, and I found vinegar (69p from Tesco) was better than lemon juice to dissolve the deposits on the pilot jets. It's corrosiveness (and that of lemon juice) are negated by rinsing all the parts with water after cleaning.

Admittedly, these carbs were quite clean. For really bad ones there no substitute for ultrasonic cleaning, and I believe there's a forum member who does a good deal on that.