a bit of luck...

As frustrated as I was with the fact that the recently-rebuilt FOX shock wouldn't work on the Bandit, I think I got lucky yesterday.  I moved to installing the NRC engine covers, doing the RHS first, as I had a spare new gasket ready to go.  Once mounted, I removed the LHS and planned to check to make sure everything was kosher by turning the engine over using the starter clutch bolt.  I found the suitable 17mm socket, started to turn the engine over, and suddenly realized it was basically on finger tight!!  With only 12,000 km on the engine when I bought it, I couldn't see anyone having done anything to the bottom end.  I removed the bolt to inspect and found the threads mullered up close to the head of the bolt as pictured.  It isn't a glob of loctite, as the wire wheel won't remove it.  At $7.50 a new bolt is good piece of mind, and the manual calls for 150 nm (110 lb/ft) of tourque to tighten it.  I can only imagine the potential carnage had the bolt backed itself off fully, either while it was being dynoed or later on while it was being abused on the track.  Might be worth checking on your bikes when you get a chance, or right away if you are bored.

bolt.jpg

• Like 1