GS 1000 s potential owner

Runesika

On 12/2/2018 at 2:55 PM, gs7_11 said:

Yes, the SN was mostly same as EN. Differences were tank, clocks, fairing, painted steel front guard, wiring loom, and 18" back wheel. Oh, and side panels with no holes! :D 

The 1980 ST had more differences, and varied according to market, which causes endless debate! The Aussie STs in particular were oddballs, whereas US STs looked like SNs with CV carbs. We never got the ST, so that helps! Also, the SN had 28mm carbs, whereas most 1000s in the US had 26's, but UK EN's had 28's anyway, so another cause for rows! Myths abound. :TB:

I remember looking at these in the showroom in 1980, unsold, no-one wanting them cos the GSX1100 was sat next to it! My own bike is a 79 but not sold till March 80.

I got an 850 front guard in good nick from a US bike, that's away being painted at the moment.

Well , despite not owning it yet after reading your information on the painted GS850 mudguard being suitable I taken a chance and brought this one , it’s NOS but has the odd mark . Please tell me it’s the correct fitment ! It looks right to my eye .

7EF5DEC2-2060-498D-BA68-2981EDF0BBAA.png

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Runesika said:

Well , despite not owning it yet after reading your information on the painted GS850 mudguard being suitable I taken a chance and brought this one , it’s NOS but has the odd mark . Please tell me it’s the correct fitment ! It looks right to my eye .

7EF5DEC2-2060-498D-BA68-2981EDF0BBAA.png

I'd been looking at that very one I think. Looks the same as the one I got. I measured the width across the fork part and the hole spacing, and they were identical to my rotten 1000S one.

Side by side, I couldn't see Any difference at all. You should be Ok :)

• Like 1

Not sure if it’s congratulations or  commiserations but I’m now officially the owner of a rough but running 1979 GS 1000s . 

We have agreed on £2650 that I know some of you think is more than enough but being a "correct U.K. s model "  justified it in my book , plus another memory was having a wheel to wheel, flat out race with my brother on this very GS while I was on a touring version of a CBX , I’m afraid to say on this site but the prolink edged it after more than a mile .

This bike is chassis number 527*** so at the tail end of the 1979 production run according to this information I found on another site .

028CBD09-FE56-4D7C-860F-3C140FFE762E.png

Edited by Runesika
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, gs7_11 said:

Congrats.

I don't think that's too bad a price. Whatever the reason, a genuine S is worth a premium over other GS1000's.

Good luck finding parts...let me know if I can help. There's a Facebook group which might be of use.

I just happened to go to where the bike is stored and my brother was there having pulled the GS out the shed , he pored a gallon of fresh petrol in the tank and jump started it  with the car .  It ran a little rough at first but then he rode it up the road , he was gone  long enough for me to go looking for him expecting to see it parked up with blocked carbs but he came past me with a smoothly  running and fairly sweet sounding engine (blowing at one exhaust header) . 

It needs a lot of money spending on it but I’m confident the 25 thousand miles showing is correct so only gaskets and a good polish and change some battle  scarred cases should sort that out .

I don’t do Facebook but I’m happy to pester you on this site so thanks for that , one super hard item to find item will be the inner fairing . Are the aftermarket main fairings any good or will I be better off repairing the badly cracked original ? Who are you going to use to repaint your  bike when the time comes ? 

Repair the original if at all possible. That goes for everything: Rule 1, don't throw anything away.

I've just repaired some plastic bits with Loctite 3310, amazing stuff.

The aftermarket ones are ok, but will be a picking point on value, irrelevant until you come to sell.

For paintwork, I've found a local guy I trust. Theres a couple of places I've seen used on the FB group who've done good work. When you're ready I can get some recs if you want, depending on where you are in the country.

Edited by gs7_11
10 minutes ago, no class said:

Ffs..... it's just an old gs1000s.... fix the ol' girl up and ride it !  All this talk of " value" and how much money you can fetch when you sell......are you bikers or investment brokers ?  

Don't be daft, it's about not pissing money away, not investing. Maybe you can afford to be loose with cash, but I can't! ;) I'm aware of it cos I'm skint mate!

I did say, if you bothered to read it, that one option was to fix up and ride, but not to pay S money for it if the OP wanted to do that. He's already paid too much for a mediocre GS1000 (no offence!), when you can get a tidy E for that money.

Why buy an S when you can get a good GS1000 for half that? Various reasons, mine, like the OP was sentimental.......I bought my old bike back. But having bought one, you can wipe a thousand quid off it's value if you're careless. I'm not going to sell mine till I'm too old to hold it up, but that'll happen one day.

I paid too much for mine, and I'm restoring it back to how it was when I had it, at which point it'll be worth what I spent on it.

So investment, no. I won't make anything on mine, and neither will the OP. I dont know whether he gives a shit about money or not, but the facts are there now for  him to choose.

Riding I do plenty of, thanks, regardless if how it affects the value, neither of my bikes are museum pieces. In fact I hate collectors and hoarders, keeping prices where I can't afford parts!

• Like 1
5 hours ago, no class said:

Ffs..... it's just an old gs1000s.... fix the ol' girl up and ride it !  All this talk of " value" and how much money you can fetch when you sell......are you bikers or investment brokers ?  

Well i think gs7-11 has answered it far more  eloquently than any attempt I may make . 

‘I’m probably going to "try’ and get it as original as possible and I’m under no illusions that it’s going to be a cheap or easy project and advice from someone in a similar situation is invaluable and my aim is not to make money but not to loose money by spending more than it’s worth . It would not  surprise me if I spent more on it than it’s worth but it’s in the balance, something that’s not possible if it were a standard non s model so I’m in with a chance . 

Am I a biker ? Well I’ll start by saying I rode to work this morning like I’ve done every day of my working life since I was 16 years old , I’m now the wrong side of 50 and don’t even hold a car license or have ever attempted my car test due to having no interest in four wheels , my holidays are motorcycle touring based and I raced in the "headbangers " LC 350 back in the day . I currently have 14 bikes but I’m not a collector as they all get ridden not hidden.   It amuses me every summer when I’m invisible to the freshly emerged bikers as my work bike is low on street cred !

Katanaminger . WTF does RTFR mean ?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Runesika said:

Well i think gs7-11 has answered it far more  eloquently than any attempt I may make . 

‘I’m probably going to "try’ and get it as original as possible and I’m under no illusions that it’s going to be a cheap or easy project and advice from someone in a similar situation is invaluable and my aim is not to make money but not to loose money by spending more than it’s worth . It would not  surprise me if I spent more on it than it’s worth but it’s in the balance, something that’s not possible if it were a standard non s model so I’m in with a chance . 

Am I a biker ? Well I’ll start by saying I rode to work this morning like I’ve done every day of my working life since I was 16 years old , I’m now the wrong side of 50 and don’t even hold a car license or have ever attempted my car test due to having no interest in four wheels , my holidays are motorcycle touring based and I raced in the "headbangers " LC 350 back in the day . I currently have 14 bikes but I’m not a collector as they all get ridden not hidden.   It amuses me every summer when I’m invisible to the freshly emerged bikers as my work bike is low on street cred !

LOL. You know what WTF means but not R. T. F. R. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Runesika said:

Lest anyone should forget you can RTFR here.  Its a shame you hadn't. Serial offenders need not apply.

Final-emblem.jpg

• Like 2