GS 1000 s potential owner

Runesika

My brother still has his 1979 GS 1000s from the 80s it’s unloved and neglected and I’ve decided I want it  ! He thinks it’s for sale (lots of memories racing me across a stubble field on my CBX , yes really)  is making it a hard  decision for him . 

‘It’s well used and has lost its original exhaust and it’s now a well painted black not  it’s original blue/white when he first owned it , it’s an original UK bike and still runs ok with  ancient petrol in it . What would be a fair price for this bike ? 

‘No pictures yet but here is one of my CBX 

Edited by Captain Chaos
it's against the rules
1 minute ago, gs7_11 said:

If it has some if the original parts specific to S models, they alone can be worth good money. A set of clocks went for over £1000 recently. Fairing mirrors £3-400. (Not a UK fitting I know but some got them fitted.)

Buy it and flog the bits!

I know parts are expensive but I could never do it , it’s got too much family history . 

‘It’s got the original handle bar fairing but no mirrors (a RHS NOS one sold for £386 on Eblag this morning WTF ! 

6 hours ago, Runesika said:

I was thinking around 3K being an "s"  

think I’ll post an image of my 1978 Gurls blouse range brochure for you pleasure, you meet the nicest people on a Gurls blouse .

Sabotage ! Oh I see I need to be  sneaky on this site Gurls blouse Gurls blouse Gurls blouse

Edited by Captain Chaos

Welcome to OSS, Suzuki only site ;):D

Really need a pic to say how much it's worth really :) 

A bike is worth what you want to pay for it, you see some very silly prices out there ie there is a katana on that site for £10,000 but it's been there for well over a year xD

Me, i wouldn't pay £3000 for a bike that needs work, realistically if you sold it after doing it up you would not get much more than £4000 all done without a long time up for sale.

In my book anyway, but I'm a bit of a Scrooge xD

14 hours ago, Jaydee said:

Be careful or you'll get the ban hammer. Such profanity is frowned apon round these parts.

But I love my girls blouse, the style the colours , the way it feels . I’m proud of my girls blouse, every man should have a girls blouse but they suit me it particularly.  Dooh ! 

Changing the subject I’ve had a few Suzuki ‘s a GT 250  GSX 750 and a DRZ 400 the latter resembled a boat anchor after only one winter . I think the 1000 or 1100 Katana is top of the wanted list but I’ll pester my brother for his GS In the meantime . He may be my brother but he’s not Bill Gates so the only thing I expect is first refusal, was the £1,800 serious? Seem too cheap for a any running 1979 1000cc bike . 

Ps never underestimate a toffee hammer, while you’re swinging the  clumsy sledgehammer I’ll tap you on each  testicle and bring you to your knees.

On 11/28/2018 at 11:46 PM, gs7_11 said:

If it has some if the original parts specific to S models, they alone can be worth good money. A set of clocks went for over £1000 recently. Fairing mirrors £3-400. (Not a UK fitting I know but some got them fitted.)

Buy it and flog the bits!

Is it correct that the U.K. GS1000s bikes were not fitted with the fairing mirrors ? They must have had mirrors of some kind , did the use handlebar mirrors? 

59 minutes ago, Runesika said:

Is it correct that the U.K. GS1000s bikes were not fitted with the fairing mirrors ? They must have had mirrors of some kind , did the use handlebar mirrors? 

Yes that's correct. The UK 1000S used the same handlebar mirrors as the 1000EN. They're even inn the parts book as 'Special Market'.

However some owners, back in the day, ordered and fitted the fairing mirrors  including me. They were about £30 each back in 2001 when I got them. 

Often tempted to sell them and put the standard mirrors back on! :D

1 hour ago, gs7_11 said:

Yes that's correct. The UK 1000S used the same handlebar mirrors as the 1000EN. They're even inn the parts book as 'Special Market'.

However some owners, back in the day, ordered and fitted the fairing mirrors  including me. They were about £30 each back in 2001 when I got them. 

Often tempted to sell them and put the standard mirrors back on! :D

Why do I feel like I’ve just potentially just saved £700 quid . Going to take a few pictures of the GS today in an attempt to gain 1oz of credibility after my CBX picture . I’ve fully read the entertaining rules now but I feel my  ignorance of Suzuki law are  justifiable mitigating circumstances for me not to have to display an oldshoolsuzuki banner while astride the GS , I throw myself to the mercy of the court .

Nice project. Depends what you want to do with it.

If you want an S, you've got most if the bits, but you'd need to put a couple of grand into it to see the extra value of the S, and you'd have to go as original as possible.

Or you could treat it was just a GS, sell the S parts and end up with a nice GS1000, non S. But then don't pay S money for it.

Shame the clock surround has been trimmed.

Check the tank for rot. S tanks with no badge mounts are sought after, but a lot of tanks are rotten and need expensive repairs. I've been through 3 to get a good one, and had to settle for an E tank that will need the badge mount filling.

GS1000 prices seem a bit daft at the moment, especially S's, but how many sell at the advertised prices?

It needs rescuing!

Edited by gs7_11
  • Like 1
18 minutes ago, gs7_11 said:

Nice project. Depends what you want to do with it.

If you want an S, you've got most if the bits, but you'd need to put a couple of grand into it to see the extra value of the S, and you'd have to go as original as possible.

Or you could treat it was just a GS, sell the S parts and end up with a nice GS1000, non S. But then don't pay S money for it.

Shame the clock surround has been trimmed.

Check the tank for rot. S tanks with no badge mounts are sought after, but a lot of tanks are rotten and need expensive repairs. I've been through 3 to get a good one, and had to settle for an E tank that will need the badge mount filling.

GS1000 prices seem a bit daft at the moment, especially S's, but how many sell at the advertised prices?

It needs rescuing!

As it’s a genuine s with chassis number starting 52**** i would try and put it back to original , apart from the tank and clocks isn’t it all GS 1000e parts ?  Front guard it rotted out steel , is this original or were they plastic ?  . I like your pictures it’s how I remember this one but back in the day everyone thought that his paint design looked better than the "ice cream van " one , myself included but times change and "ice cream van "is where it’s at .   

Another image from urban Essex . 

6E022F20-13B4-471E-8B14-4EA830158AD7.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Runesika said:

As it’s a genuine s with chassis number starting 52**** i would try and put it back to original , apart from the tank and clocks isn’t it all GS 1000e parts ?  Front guard it rotted out steel , is this original or were they plastic ?

Yes, the SN was mostly same as EN. Differences were tank, clocks, fairing, painted steel front guard, wiring loom, and 18" back wheel. Oh, and side panels with no holes! :D 

The 1980 ST had more differences, and varied according to market, which causes endless debate! The Aussie STs in particular were oddballs, whereas US STs looked like SNs with CV carbs. We never got the ST, so that helps! Also, the SN had 28mm carbs, whereas most 1000s in the US had 26's, but UK EN's had 28's anyway, so another cause for rows! Myths abound. :TB:

I remember looking at these in the showroom in 1980, unsold, no-one wanting them cos the GSX1100 was sat next to it! My own bike is a 79 but not sold till March 80.

I got an 850 front guard in good nick from a US bike, that's away being painted at the moment.