'What's the problem?'

Swiss Toni

Doing a 'dry build' on the 1100ET motor, just to see what's there, and what's ... not!  All gears & g/change paraphernalia installed in upper & lower cases. Selector forks hanging down, as per manual but, forks not lining up with tracks on gears, stopping cases coming together! They're landing on the gears! Forks won't move sideways, due to slots in selector drum. Nowhere in any of my manuals, OEM Suzuki, Haynes or Clymer does it say gearbox has to be set in a certain way, or neutral. So, 'What's the problem?' Tell me how you do it! 

Guest YoshiJohnny

make sure the detent for neutral is engaged on the selector "star"

make sure the forks are on the right shaft and the correct left and right

the forks shouldn't move but the gears can... line them up by spinning gears to engage side to side if need be..

I experienced similar issues when putting my halves back together.The forks seemed to mismatch just as the casings came close...Turned out,after the third attempt of trying,that the larger end bearing kept getting slightly pushed out by the wavy shims just as I went to close them.Once I noticed this they went back together with a satisfying clunk.