Doubts about GSX 1100 models

nachopa

47 minutes ago, nlovien said:

good on yi :tu another one hopefully about to be resurrected. We all have different approaches to how we 1st tackle such purchases  - opposite sides of the scale are

1) take a punt - charge up battery, put some oil n fuel in it - see if it runs and work around the gremlins as they appear ( not my prefered method with a bike you don't know the history and has been left sitting for a few yrs - the satisfaction of actually breathing any life into it is often lost with the continual niggles and maybe cause for accelerated wear / damage )

2) presume the usual niggles ( many already suggested ) - don't go mad and try and get it to run - off with the cam cover carbs and plugs - get it all nicely lubed up inc. a wetting down the bores - turn over by hand to get a feel that nothing nippy is occurring - then take each main part, one at a time - carbs / wiring / detailed engine service / steering head wheels and swing arm bearing inspection - brake strip and re seal - - etc.. etc...  a lot of work but worth it in the long run and can often be less work versus the hassle of quick fix gremlins - -and in this process you may uncover a big one ( damaged bore, rockers etc.. ) that will focus your direction before rather than after you invest a lot of time and effort

only downside to option 2 is project creep - as you fix / improve each part, the level of fix desired goes up - often resulting in upgrading / parts change - - --  how often do we end up doing this anyway ? - fix the std front end and brakes - then just as yir doing the final brake bleed - och you decide bugger it, fit a different front end :) -  ok now needs the matching rear wheel = diffrent swing arm and on - and on - 5yrs later you may get bike of month :tu

Thanks nlovien!

I'll tell you what I want to do.

After taking the bike to my garage I will clean up the carbs, the gas tank, change the oil, the air filter, the plugs, charge the battery and fill up the tires. After that I will try to turn the key on and see if the control panel works, if it works a little bit of oil into the plug holes and a couple of days getting wet, move the engine by hand, see if the plugs have fire and if everything works (I know it will never happen) try to turn on the engine.

After all of these things I will try to get the bike running as it is right now. In Spain MOT is horrible and changing the front end will be incredible expensive just for getting the papers so... I will try to avoid these changes but who knows...

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Had an 1100ET when they first came out . Had charging problems , burnt out the reg/rec . Checked out wiring harness , positive (RED) cable from battery goes under battery box and is made into a soldered Y joint . Found this soldered joint broken on mine ,making intermittent contact . Repaired joint with solid connector , all good .    Great power , bit of a head shaker so fitted fork brace [which I still have ] . 

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/20/2019 at 5:53 PM, R15UTT said:

Had an 1100ET when they first came out . Had charging problems , burnt out the reg/rec . Checked out wiring harness , positive (RED) cable from battery goes under battery box and is made into a soldered Y joint . Found this soldered joint broken on mine ,making intermittent contact . Repaired joint with solid connector , all good .    Great power , bit of a head shaker so fitted fork brace [which I still have ] . 

Thanks mate! I will take that into account 

Edited by nachopa
4 hours ago, no class said:

Yes..,, quite pricey... but buying a used one ( usually damaged and not the right color) evens out after being repaired and painted to match the rest of the oem parts already on the bike .

Maybe you are right. If I don’t find a reasonable second hand part I will buy a New one.