Doubts about GSX 1100 models

nachopa

Hi everybody, 

First of all I would like to introduce myself. My name is Nacho (yes, like the mexican food :banana:) and I live in the sunny Mallorca, Spain.

Some days ago I saw a bike and after talking to the owner he told me that is on sale if I want to buy it. I am not a suzuki oldskool expert so I need some help from you.

This is the bike that I'm talking about:

IMG_4127.thumb.JPG.f0041666a13d68d932e4fff8823db71b.JPG

All I know is that it's a suzuki GSX 1100 from 1982. The owner says that it's a GSX 1100 EX but I'm not sure about that and after googleing it I saw that there are several versions of this bike. How can I say which model is it?

Next question is: As you can see the airbox filter and the side panels are missing, any special web to buy this parts? In spain this bike was not sold a lot so... I am completely lost.

Another question: any place to download a PDF with the deatiled parts, the manual, the haynes or whatever?

And the last but not least question, anything to say about this bike? is it reliable? is it fast? any common fail?

Thanks in advance! ^_^

Hi and welcome to OSS :)

There is a web site you can download a PDF for the GSX1100 but I've lost the link/adds for it, someone will be along to help with that one ;)

It looks like the gsx1100et to me.

You can still get the side panels new (Eblag one place I've seen them).

As to the last question, like anything that's 30+ years old, if it's not been badly misstated they are a good and reliable bike and for the age yes fast and lots of time up bits you can get off the shelf.

Welcome, 

It feels really fast in stock form but that is due to a lot of flexibility in the front end. That's why you see a lot of the ET and EX models on here with modern ( 1990 and up) front ends.

Electrics are poor,  even when new. This one is 37? Years old so expect to be replacing some connectors. Especially the generator one.

Really bad parts are the voltage regulator parts. Most of the times the generator fails,  taking out the voltage regulator and the battery with it. Good news...electrex sell direct replacements, others with newer mosfet style voltage regulators.

Engines are good. Carburettors from a newer model, like a Bandit 1200 work really well on it. This is most of the time cheaper than rebuilding the original ones. 

If it has the papers...Just buy it. You found the right community to be tinkering on this one.(y)

Most parts are available via the dealers,  on e-bay or even second hand from members. 

Our marketplace is visible after 50 posts. Currently member @WimBaas sells the correct side panels in black without emblems.

What the others said, but I'd be a bit worried about the missing airbox and mostly (from what I can see) any form of air filtration. Mallorca seems like a sandy place, and after many years of running the engine unprotected the condition of the bores and rings will have suffered. Still a nice bike to have, but be prepared for having to do work on the engine.

5 hours ago, WimBaas said:

I would take a good look inside the fueltank. Ten years not using will take its toll when not stored well.  But 600 euro's isn't much and everything can be repaired. I have a set of sidepannels indeed for a lot less then Eblag and you have to paint them anyway. 

In fact I tried to but the lock was stucked and I didn’t want to Force it. 

2 hours ago, Rustynail said:

Very wise words from Captain Chaos. Welcome to OSS:)

Thanks!

On 11/13/2018 at 6:48 PM, nachopa said:

Another question: any place to download a PDF with the deatiled parts, the manual, the haynes or whatever?

To add further to Askamaskinservice's post: pdf of a service manual.

Further webpart sites:

https://www.cmsnl.com

https://classicsuzukiparts.nl/

and of course Eblag..

On 11/13/2018 at 6:48 PM, nachopa said:

And the last but not least question, anything to say about this bike? is it reliable? is it fast? any common fail?

Well.. what Blubber said on the electrics, so the charging circuit is flawed to put it mildly. Readup on this section of the forum to find the info you need. Starter clutches are a weak part too, especially after many years suffering from weak batteries. I have a personal hate for the stock CV fuel tap (swap for manual operated one), and the airbox missing on your bike is a pain to remove/install (main reason for using filter pods).

Is it fast? It used to be the "Hayabusa" of its day, but today it can still be (very) fast if you want to invest the time and money..  But I'd invest in upgrading the chassis first, as that has dated the most performance-wise. So suspension, brakes, wheels and tyres.

20 hours ago, Askamaskinservice said:

Thanks! I'll take a look.

15 hours ago, arnout said:

To add further to Askamaskinservice's post: pdf of a service manual.

Further webpart sites:

https://www.cmsnl.com

https://classicsuzukiparts.nl/

and of course Eblag..

Well.. what Blubber said on the electrics, so the charging circuit is flawed to put it mildly. Readup on this section of the forum to find the info you need. Starter clutches are a weak part too, especially after many years suffering from weak batteries. I have a personal hate for the stock CV fuel tap (swap for manual operated one), and the airbox missing on your bike is a pain to remove/install (main reason for using filter pods).

Is it fast? It used to be the "Hayabusa" of its day, but today it can still be (very) fast if you want to invest the time and money..  But I'd invest in upgrading the chassis first, as that has dated the most performance-wise. So suspension, brakes, wheels and tyres.

Incredible useful arnout, that's exactly what I was looking for :banana:

I'm afraid about electrics. Mechanical stuff is ok for me, I can fix things but electrics... my brain came without that part :(

14 hours ago, Reinhoud said:

Wow, if I buy the bike I will spend hours in this web. Thanks!

13 hours ago, Askamaskinservice said:

Thats wrong, not to pee on your parade but he got a 80(T) or 81(X)

I on the other hand thank you for that link as i've just bought one.(y)

Great web, there are several models in fact so we can choose the right one.

• Like 2