what do you want out of an event

Katana

good company,a good selection of bikes,personally i would like to see us at events like Stafford,our bikes are classics albeit modified classics,some standard ones as well,i think people need to see the alternative to something stock more often,trackdays possibly or track weekends,drag race weekends,the trouble is dave life gets in the way of these things,i work weekends for example so cant always do the things i want to,factor in the fact that my kids dont live with me so i have to time for them as well,other people have similar issues im sure,what i will say though is ive enjoyed every OSS event ive been to even if i havent stayed over,keep up the good work you peeps that organise these events,it is appreciated. oh yeah Johnnys first suggestion sounds good to me as well,what about some of the Classic car/motorbike events as well,a lot of us are into cars and bikes.

Paul

The roundhouse has set a high standard. (or low, depending on the viewpoint)

I think events as part of a bigger event are good too. Isle of Man gatherings, Donington ...

Motivation is generally from photos of what you missed when you were doing something else instead ;)

• Like 1

I think Donington was a great place to have an annual event anyway but if we were to do a separate stand alone event then more than anything, I would want there to be sense that it was an OSS event. To achieve that you need exclusivity of the  venue. Not sharing it with others. To have that you need sufficient numbers. To have sufficient numbers you need to cater to a wide spectrum of interests and encourage as many people as possible.

The venue needs to be central so that nobody has to do more than 300ish miles to get there. It needs to have a big car park to hold the daytime competitions and  house a mobile dyno. We also need to a have a merchandise stand. The venue needs to be able to do breakfast lunch and evening meals for those that are far from home or forgotten their piece box and flask or ate their piece on the way. It needs to have a function room that can house us all at night for a band or discotheque ( is that how you say it these days?) It needs to have some descent roads around for and OSS ride out for those that are interested.   I think we should have some stupid fun stuff too like like a live build from random parts or a smash the H*nda competition.The venue needs to be able to house us all day if the weather turns.

We'll probably do the round house for the first time in a few years , next year anyway but it's max 30-40 which always sells out. If we do a Northern Englandish do with all of the above it would be more likely to attract a larger number than if we just did a piss up. ( theoretically)

Like I say Donington's good because there is plenty to do through the day and then everyone can assemble assemble at night. Exhibitor camping is a bit cramped for a big do though and if it rains your stuffed.  The factor that you need to consider in the UK on a What if basis,  is the weather.

• Like 1

Ok I have found that if you charge no one wants to pay there were some moaning that the round house was dear last time (a whole weekend with beer and food £40 dear?) yes he was scotish so a bit understandable. i have been told by most that come to my dos that they dont want music as every one that has had music every one sits out side so they can talk when i have tried to get them to come on a ride out there has been little or no interest i had a venue that was all of the things that you listed centeral big room big car park good food everything and it was free ok £5 for camping and still only a few came. The round house was popular but 70% were from scotland the same few that attend my dos came up but they would go anywere for a pissup when you spend money to entertain half that say they will come dont turn up it costs me everytime i have a do one time because it rained only 4 turned up if I had got a dyno truck and a band and a disco ect i would have been pritty fucked.I know get money up front and all that but i didnt want to have people send me money i just want it casual. the first ever OSS do there were 50 odd coming PP organised loads of stuff Mr7/11 n blubber came from holland and 11 turned up (was still a great do) other times I have changed dates because loads say I cant make that day and then they dont come anyway it really dose piss you off that so many eather just lie or cant be arsed to turn up I know that people have lives to get on with but if ya dont want to come or are just a wanabe dont say ya coming

oh as for the naked dancing girls most of you old farts couldnt handle it

• Like 6

On a more serious note:

Now that OSS is "back" and gets more and more media coverage, I would expect more people attending :tu

I have been to a few UK based OSS do's AND the Bulldog to meetup with OSS- ers

Each time it was fun to meet up/ drink/ talk/ laugh ....(fill in the blanks)  with fellow OSS-ers and to see them in action e.g. at the strip.

If, by chance,  there was a band, a dyno shoot out, engine smashing or a food truck it was nice/ convenient but not the reason i went.

And a different location just meant getting a different ferry line for me;)

But.......if you say you are coming to the do...you better be coming to the do :ph34r:

• Like 2
  • 4 months later...

OK I'm locking this thread for now as we now have 2 events planned for the summer and that is more than enough. We have the OSS track-day meet at Cadwell weekend of the 9t 9th and 10th of July. and 10th of July. We  also have our Stand at Donington  on the weekend of the 6th and 7th of August.

Both events will have bikes, beer and fellow OSS enthusiast present. Both events will also have some track activity. So all the major boxes are ticked and  hopefully you will all be able to make one or the other.

• Like 3