Gearbox ID.

This is getting really interesting! The motor came out of a supposedly 1150 EFE, but as soon as I clapped eyes on it, I knew it wasn't!  It's frame number started DV, where EFE's should start GV (or the other way round)? No engine numbers either!  It was even documented in the V5 as, 'Engine number: Not known'. Never seen that before!  It was fitted with 998cc barrels. I forgot about 850's being shafties, so they're ruled out! The fact that it's a six speed ... how about any of the smaller GS's? Were they six speed? Would a twins gearbox even fit into a four? What about a 550 EFE? Same type of square section frame. What did their frame numbers start with? I'll dig the photo of the gearbox's original home out later on. By gum, 't things caused reet aggro!:D

Edited by Swiss Toni
Missing text.
  • Like 1

Fitted to GSX1100 cases. Same problem. Cases not wide enough, two housings too big. I'm really starting to think smaller GS. But, would crank & barrels transplant? I know the crank is definitely 1100, as I've measured the stroke at 66mm, and small ends are  18mm. And, as an aside, how do I insert text between pictures, using iPhone? Answers on a postcard please (PM me)!

image.jpg

image.jpg

Pictures show the GS(X) motor the gearbox came from. Fitted with 998cc barrels, 16 valve head, can't remember what the carb sizes were. So! The mystery continues! What interests me is, what the crankcases were,  to be able to take 1000/1100 crank, head & barrels? GS1000 perhaps, or 16 valve GS750? Essentially, a six speed GSX, retro fitted. I never rode the bike. It was stripped as the frame was cattled! 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Swiss Toni

Those are 16V cases ...as to fit 16V block and Head on 8V cases means Major work

Liberty and Vance and Grimes both do a 6 speed for the 16v cases "Read v expensive"

if you have as the pic tried the box in GSX 1100 "16V" cases and it don't fit as your pic shows

have you considered the idea that its not the box that came out of the motor in the quoted pic above

and you have mixed it up with another 6 speed box..........

Edited by Duckndive
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, Dezza said:

Fancy one-off six speed gearbox for road racing? What became of the dodgy numberless cases? Dunlop's 'xr69' has an engine with no number on it. I did see this at a bike show.

I sold them to a drag racer on the old site, years ago. Bought 1100 cases from a lad on the old site, who ran a business for Malt Whisky.

1 hour ago, Duckndive said:

if you have as the pic tried the box in GSX 1100 "16V" cases and it don't fit as your pic shows

have you considered the idea that its not the box that came out of the motor in the quoted pic above

and you have mixed it up with another 6 speed box..........

Yes, it's definitely  the box from the last pics I put up. The only other 6 speed box I've had lying around, is now safely back in the Slabbie.

...... I think! :D

......................... I hope!!!!   :S

Perhaps looking for markings would help ID-ing it as a H*nd* box. If no partno.'s are stamped om gears or shafts, at least the sprocket will be stamped by the aftermarket(?) factory. Beside looking up that number also the spline dimensions on the output shaft should help with determining the identity of the gearbox.

• Like 2